Have You Experienced Prejudice Or Racism In Argentina?

Sorry, I got kinda lost. how do yo call being nordic, arab, chinese, latin, etc then?
You call nordic to those from Nordic countries. It is a geographical reference.
You call arabs to those from the arabic peninsula. It is a geographical reference. Despite in some countries in the peninsula, muslim is predominant, not all the people there are muslims. This is a religious reference.
You call chinese to those burn in China. It is a geographical reference.
I don´t know whom call latin. It is almost a racist term defined in USA. It is not applied to those who speaks a latin language like romanian or french. If it was that way, french Canada would be part of latin America. In fact, Latin America is nothing. It exists North, Central and South America, geographically speaking.

I seriously doubt it's because the Argentines really care about all the people killed in US wars. Not that I'm supporting those wars, but I think this anti-US sentiment might come more from perhaps jealousy, and the fact that the US refuses to keep supporting Argentina economically or politically.
In short, we hate USA, if this would be true, because we can´t be Puerto Rico. Interesting theory.

There is no race anywhere. The concept of race is obsolete and not scientific based.

46946784.jpg

While wearing my Brasil shirt I've never had anyone say anything. When I wear my TEAM USA shirt I almost always get a comment or two. Most of the people that make comments appear to be poorer people. Sometimes, they'll say, "This is Argentina, eh?" When I reply, "Are you jealous? Don't have a visa to go? Don't have Dollars to travel?" that really gets a strong reaction. In my country boy thinking that means to me I'm getting close to the truth.

I will be the first to say that the US has lost a lot of credibility in the last 20 years through mis-guided foreign policy. At the same time, the same people who badmouth the US are the first in line for US movies, music, fashion, products, etc.

So it's legitimate, then, to despise anybody with a blanco y celeste soccer jersey because of all the innocent people the Argentine military has killed?

That was a dictatorship, it was not a government chosen by the people, whereas the US government is. Big difference.

While wearing my Brasil shirt I've never had anyone say anything. When I wear my TEAM USA shirt I almost always get a comment or two. Most of the people that make comments appear to be poorer people. Sometimes, they'll say, "This is Argentina, eh?" When I reply, "Are you jealous? Don't have a visa to go? Don't have Dollars to travel?" that really gets a strong reaction. In my country boy thinking that means to me I'm getting close to the truth.

I will be the first to say that the US has lost a lot of credibility in the last 20 years through mis-guided foreign policy. At the same time, the same people who badmouth the US are the first in line for US movies, music, fashion, products, etc.

Get an argentine jersey man, it's the best.

That was a dictatorship, it was not a government chosen by the people, whereas the US government is. Big difference.

One thing I don't understand is how leaders in politics keep using the Falklands as a political flag if it was the military regime that became the strongest bearer of that flag. You would think that after that common sense would be more... common. Argentina has been an independent nation for what? 200 years, The Falklands have been under British Rule for what, 170 out of those 200?

Basically the dictators started THAT war. However in the region there's too much hatred among neighbors. Chileans and Argentines hate each other. Uruguay was created as a buffer zone because of the constant conflict and wars between Brazil and Argentina. Where all those dictators too? Back in the days of it's old glories, Argentina was very hostile towards its weaker neighbors.

I'm surprised you made those allegations, almost like you agree with the bashing of Americans based on poor decisions made by US presidents.

Finally, people should be allowed to wear whatever jersey they want. I own an Argentine jersey because going to the ARG- COL game back in June was one of the first things I did when I got here, I think since I'm here and I've been well received by Argentines generally speaking and I seem to like the country I should be showing my support for their team, unless the game is against one of my teams of course. If I choose to wear a US soccer jersey I want and deserve the same amount of respect someone gets in the US while wearing an Argentine jersey. Finally, history says that no European team has ever won a world cup played in the Americas. I think that will still be true after all is said and done. I also think Brazil will have ANOTHER disappointment with a World Cup final at home. I guess that leaves us few options.

Even if true, does that justify vilifying another person for wearing his country's jersey?

Also, what nationality were all those ecstatic people who filled the Plaza de Mayo to cheer Galtieri when he announced the Argentine invasion of the Islands on April 2nd of 1982?

Sometimes, when people try to figure out my accent - I'm Fargo-born, grew up in Washington State, have lived most of my life in California, and learned the bulk of my Spanish in Mexico, Chile and Argentina - I tell them I'm Vietnamita.
ha ha ha! I can relate. I was born here but lived most of my life abroad in the UK and the US most of my time and a bit in Jamaica (oh yeah!) and Mexico. The problem is hat I thave an accent no matter what language I speak...and I mostly think like an American in an Argentine body:-((((..I have experience a bit of racism everywhere I lived-sadly a dark side of human nature...

That's a good point. I have an Argentine jersey and I wear it here as well as in the US. Funny thing; in the US no one gives me a hard time for the Argentine jersey. Without exception the comments have been positive or inquisitive. "Cool, you live in Argentina? Have you been to a soccer game? How is the steak? What is going on with that President?" etc, etc.

I think it is because no one is envious of Argentina.

If I recall correctly, even the communists at the time came out in support of that stupid war. I think over 90% of Argentina supported the invasion. But following the tradition: "it is not our fault. The dictators did it".

Back