Having A Baby In Ba As Non-Residents

When I had my first at Hospital Aleman, I was 5 months pregnant at the time of getting their insurance. I know some companies where in limbo with last year´s regulations on insurance companies, but I guess it stayed the same, which is good news. The idea is that if you are already pregnant at the time of joining, you must pay for those months you did not wait.

Bumping this thread.

My Argentine wife is 4 months pregnant and we live in the US at present. We are exploring the option of going to Argentina for the birth. We have no insurance in Argentina, but I find it interesting that we may still get insurance even though she is pregnant. She is covered here but feels like it would be nice to have the baby around family. At 44, her pregnancy is considered "high risk" here so we are concerned about the quality of care as well.

It seems that public hospitals are OK in the country as well. Has anyone here experienced having a child in a public hospital?

It seems that public hospitals are OK in the country as well. Has anyone here experienced having a child in a public hospital?

My ex-GF delivered her baby in the public hospital of Jose C Paz (GBA Norte). Professional nurses but don't expect a great/friendly service. Shared rooms (6 or 8 women), a bit insecure, etc.

The one in Florida (Northern suburb too, but very close to Capital) has an excellent reputation. Much cleaner place, etc. But you need to live in the same area for them to accept you.

Having a baby here also qualifies you for citizenship without the need for 2 years of residence.

OSDE is just the name of a brand of private health insurance that is not attached to a specific hospital. (Like a Blue Cross in the US)It is widely considered one of the best because it has a very large roster of high quality participating doctors and uses the best private clinics and hospitals. They offer various plans at various price points. You just go to one of their offices and they will talk with you and show you their different plans (their largest office is at Billinghurst and Santa Fe.) OSDE and other similar plans such as Medicus also offer wide choices that don't restrict you to one hospital and it's affiliates
For the thrift minded many of the private hospital systems such as hospital Italiano, hospital Aleman, hospital suiza, and hospital Britannico also offer their own health insurance.plans, however you are restricted to only using providers directly affiliated with their institution Again they offer different plans at different price points I know people who use these plans and are happy with them
I have one of the cheapest comprehensive OSDE plans, but nevertheless there are no copays, limits or deductibles except for outpatient medications where I pay a deeply discounted price for prescribed medications. Generally speaking all these plans offer you much shorter wait times and nicer facilities than public facilities, altho many times the public doctors are equally as good. Just harder to access!

OSDE is just the name of a brand of private health insurance that is not attached to a specific hospital. (Like a Blue Cross in the US)It is widely considered one of the best because it has a very large roster of high quality participating doctors and uses the best private clinics and hospitals. They offer various plans at various price points. You just go to one of their offices and they will talk with you and show you their different plans (their largest office is at Billinghurst and Santa Fe.) OSDE and other similar plans such as Medicus also offer wide choices that don't restrict you to one hospital and it's affiliates
For the thrift minded many of the private hospital systems such as hospital Italiano, hospital Aleman, hospital suiza, and hospital Britannico also offer their own health insurance.plans, however you are restricted to only using providers directly affiliated with their institution Again they offer different plans at different price points I know people who use these plans and are happy with them
I have one of the cheapest comprehensive OSDE plans, but nevertheless there are no copays, limits or deductibles except for outpatient medications where I pay a deeply discounted price for prescribed medications. Generally speaking all these plans offer you much shorter wait times and nicer facilities than public facilities, altho many times the public doctors are equally as good. Just harder to access!

So OSDE is just a private insurance that groups all providers? I got a Swiss Medical plan and there was one doctor I really wanted to see and he didn't take Swiss Medical. Would OSDE allow me to see him?

So OSDE is just a private insurance that groups all providers? I got a Swiss Medical plan and there was one doctor I really wanted to see and he didn't take Swiss Medical. Would OSDE allow me to see him?

The only way to know that for sure is call his office and ask!

Not to be a wet blanket, but before deciding to do this make sure your relationship is on solid ground. You mentioned your wife is Argentine. If your baby is born here it will be Argentine as well. Should you have marital issues and decide you want to return to the U.S., you won't be able to do so with the child without permission from the mother, nor will you be able to get the child a U.S. passport (assuming the child qualifies) without her signature and consent.

Sorry to bring up a depressing topic but it is a reality for many people who arrive and don't realize the rules.

Not to be a wet blanket, but before deciding to do this make sure your relationship is on solid ground. You mentioned your wife is Argentine. If your baby is born here it will be Argentine as well. Should you have marital issues and decide you want to return to the U.S., you won't be able to do so with the child without permission from the mother, nor will you be able to get the child a U.S. passport (assuming the child qualifies) without her signature and consent.

Sorry to bring up a depressing topic but it is a reality for many people who arrive and don't realize the rules.

My wife became a US citizen many years ago and prefers to live here. We are more concerned with the level of care and the possibility of her giving birth in Argentina.
It seems that it is possible at the Hospital Aleman from info we have gathered thus far.

Back