Having A Hard Time Finding A Job In Argentina

Hi JP, I work at one of the firms and if as a last resort you were interested I am sure I could help if you were in Capital Federal. If something changes & you end up here, give me a yell :)

It is quite easy right now to get job in accounting area if you have experience even more, you are just in the wrong city i would say

Hello everyone! Thank you once again for all your responses. My situation might sound a bit peculiar -- I mean it's very unique, I should say. The reason for moving to Bahia Blanca is because I married an Argentine. We have 2 kids, who were born in the USA. We decided to move here because we wanted our kids to spend quality time with my husband's family and be raised in a more relaxed environment -- not in a big city like Miami, FL, or even Buenos Aires, Capital Federal. I am originally from Colombia (that's why I speak Spanish, but with a very different accent -- I don't have an Argentine accent). I moved to the States as a child and so I do consider myself an American -- and believe me I love and miss the USA.

Now that you all know why I'm here, I can't begin to express my big concern with this unemployment issue: whether I'll be able to find anything at all, and/or how long it will take before I can find something. As a professional woman, I'm going nuts being home all day long. The good thing is that I'm spending quality time with my kids, but then the thought of whether I'm doing the right thing by trying to settle here has been lately in the back of my head.

Yes, I can legally work here. I got what they call the "CUIL". I have 3 questions:

1. If we were to decide to move to Capital Federal, someone said he/she would refer me to his/her firm. What kind of firm is it?

2. What's would be the salary range in Capital for a bilingual professional with USA university degrees and work experience? (I recently got a job offer by one of the Big 4's in Capital Federal, but it wasn't convincing).

3. Where in the South of Argentina would there be available jobs with high salaries? Which cities? (someone mentioned it in one of the postings).

Thanks again for all your comments! :)

JP

i cant imagine anywhere in the south with high salaries, unless you are workin for some oil exploration firm.

i am likely wrong, but i would guess the salary range would depend on whether you got your mba at wharton or university of phoenix

[font="Arial""]I am on the same boat, it is really difficult to get a job if you don't know anyone inside of the company. Unfortunately people here priories your contacts than your qualification/experience. Try in zonajobs and bumeran, you may not find your ideal job (you may have to settle for a job that you are overqualified, it is that sad truth of Argentina 2013). Another alternative is doing something from home or ask your husband to find you a job in the company he is working at (family is great at doing this, sometimes the only way to get a good job is through family or friends). Don’t let it get you, if you are out of work just take long walks, get to know the city, talk to people about your job search, people here are really solidary, maybe chatting with a supermarket cashier you get a reference for a job in the supermarket or something like that (I know, it seems crazy that you would have to work in a supermarket with a MBA but at least you are going to get out of the house, you will get to meet people and you won’t feel so desperate). Take your kids to museums and parks, most of them are free, take advantage of all the free entertainment the city has to offer. Just enjoy and let go. It is difficult, I know, but you just need to relax, you won’t get a job overnight, right now it is a difficult task to get a job. [/font]

Can I give you some advice, and this is from someone who has lived here FULL TIME for 7 years and came from New York City.......Lower your expectations in every sense of the word. I had a very successful mortgage banking career in New York, owned a great apartment, never had a car that was more than 2 years old, international vacations, designer clothes......nice money, and lots of bills.
Here I live on the low end of the scale, own a property MORTGAGE FREE, no car, vacations by bus or with friends in their car, and maybe I buy 5 new clothing items PER YEAR.
I make about 10% of my new york salary here, but sleep well at night, and am able to save money every month!!
You have to lower your expectations A LOT to survive here (emotionally) if you can do that you will be able to figure everything else out, if you can't then start planning your exit. Good luck!

This post gets my interest as I'm planning on moving back to Argentina early next year. I have a very successful career in the banking industry and I'm afraid I might find a similar job to afford the kind of life I have in Dallas...but I look at my life here and realize that at the end of the day the extra large home with a huge mortgage and the shinny new car don't make happy, family and friends do. I like the post a out expectations...I have to learn to manage my expectations before I get down to BA.

Back