Having two passports a help wit entering and reentering Argentina

atwok said:
a big misconception amongst the 'perma-tourist' crowd is that getting a new passport will somehow buy them more time, as there will no longer be a ton of stamps. not true. passport numbers are not looked at. it is all done on name/date of birth

I'm still going to doubt this. What if someone happens to have the same name and birthdate at someone else? If one person in the system was born on the same day as me, has the same birthdate, is from the UK, do you mean to tell me that they're going to hassle me for that? Surely they use the passport number. What's the point?

They probably asked to see your UK passport because you were born in the UK? I have a friend who is Argentine and Italian, and his Italian passport says he was born in Argentina. U.S. customs asked for his Argentine passport at that point.

I know it is a loophole, but can they really do anything about it? You could have said you lost your UK passport? (Hey, I dropped mine on the ground in Colonia without even realizing it...it's possible)

bradlyhale said:
I'm still going to doubt this. What if someone happens to have the same name and birthdate at someone else? If one person in the system was born on the same day as me, has the same birthdate, is from the UK, do you mean to tell me that they're going to hassle me for that? Surely they use the passport number. What's the point?

They probably asked to see your UK passport because you were born in the UK? I have a friend who is Argentine and Italian, and his Italian passport says he was born in Argentina. U.S. customs asked for his Argentine passport at that point.

I know it is a loophole, but can they really do anything about it? You could have said you lost your UK passport? (Hey, I dropped mine on the ground in Colonia without even realizing it...it's possible)

great point!

I wonder if it has it ever occurred to those who post about evading the Argentine immigration regulations (laws) that someone from migraciones may have been assigned the task of monitoring this site to see what "los extranjeros" are up to?

Perhaps that is one of the reasons things have been "tightening up" at the border(s) recently.

Perhaps we'll never know.

bradlyhale said:

actually i was born in Colombia. the guy at immigration told me that they check using name/date of birth. I'm not just speculating. this was also confirmed to me by my immigration lawyer, and the guy at migraciones.

i could have said anything i wanted to the guy at immigration, and he had no reason or grounds to turn me away. the purpose of my post, as regards to the advantages/disadvantages of dual nationality is that there is none, as a name/date of birth check tells them how many times you have entered the country regardless of how many different passports you use.

of course the system is flawed, and if someone happens to have the same first, middle, and last name as you as well as the same date of birth, and also happens to be a frequent visitor to argentina, problems could occur. i assume in this rather unlikely case, they would investigate further

bradlyhale said:
I'm still going to doubt this......Surely they use the passport number. What's the point?

you can doubt all you want.

the point is that passport numbers change, name and date of birth dont. and people with multiple passports have multiple passport numbers but not multiple names and dates of birth.

atwok said:
you can doubt all you want.

the point is that passport numbers change, name and date of birth dont. and people with multiple passports have multiple passport numbers but not multiple names and dates of birth.

That is exactly the point.

I have had two passport numbers in the past two years ( I renewed when I was in California in 2008 and reentered with the new passport), but when I went to apply for permanent residency last year, the office of migraciones had both of them in their database. They did not think for a second that I wasn't the same person who already had temporary residency under that name. I didn't have to explain anything.

They aren't stupid and they have been wise to the perma-tourist scam for a long time.

The big question is how much longer they will tolerate it (regardless how much perma-tourists spend).

It's their country, after all.

Who are we to flaunt the laws?

To avoid the fee, I think you could simply use the German passport. Assuming you do indeed lunch in Colonia every three months, I don't see why you would bother switching btw the German and the American, as many Americans do this. Doing so with your German would allow you to stay within visa requirements and save the new fee.

I'm not sure they are 'looking' for ways to charge you the fee - I used my Canadian passport, and because I was born in Argentina, and stood in the wrong line lol, I wasn't charged the fee. I don't have an updated Argentine passport and they didn't ask for it in any manner regardless.

If your German one entitles you to no fees, and they discover you also hold an American passport, I don't think they will try to charge you just for having both. Considering I reside in Canada & only hold a Canadian passport, they were in no way trying to charge me the fee when as far as I'm concerned, they would have been within their rights to. Didn't ask me how long I intended to stay or anything along those lines.

Hum, interesting, I would be interested in more stories other people have in dealing with the whole dula nationallity thing, as I just found out I have both nationalities and havent used my new german passport since getting it a year ago.

Thanks and best to you all.

I have Canadian and EU citizenship with a passport for each. I take turns using both everytime I have entered ARG. Except this week when I returned from the holidays. I used my EU passport as my last entry because I wanted to avoid paying the new entry fee.

Having two passports from two different countries certainly helps in spreading out the amount of time each passport is stamped by immigration.

iStar said:
Having two passports from two different countries certainly helps in spreading out the amount of time each passport is stamped by immigration.

I agree, I wish i had 2 passports.

Back