Health insurance for older retirees?

nikad said:
Most health insurance companies have plans with no copays ( which are in my opinion the best option ) HI has them too and amazingly they are not skimming on services or technology, they actually are better equipped than Medicus, OSDE etc. They have top notch technology for surgery, that it is actually used by the other private insurance companies for complex cases. They are not the five star hotel type, but definitely, top notch in medical terms, which is in the end what matters. I am thinking about switching to them this year.

As far as I know you are correct on the facilities and technology. But they are offering coverage for those over 65, which the rest of the companies do not want to do. Therefor I believe they must be doing something different. I am assuming that the other plans don't want over 65 people because of the higher cost of health care for older persons. If HI has similar costs to other plans how can they offer a affordable plan when the others can't? One obvious way would be to make their plan cover fewer items, not to say they wouldn't provide a particular service, but they may ask you to pay extra to get it. I think someone would really have to study and understand the plan in detail to make a determination and to estimate what someones total out of pocket expense would be.

The HI website lists different options available on their website.
Here is one for coverage of those over 60.
On my laptop, it is only showing up in Norwegian for some reason. I am in Norway now, but usually translates direct to Spanish. Providing the link below and hopefully it will translate for you. Also in English.
Don't know what happened with my translation app.:(
We are also in this age bracket and have HI coverage and find the services
excellent. (love the work they do with bloodless surgery-although never had use for it--just lots of cutting edge technology).
Hope this is readable.

http://www.hospitalitaliano.org.ar/plan/index.php?contenido=mayor_global.php

Being dissatisfied with the medical insurance that I've had for a long time, I went shopping for a new provider. I was turned down by all, because I'm over 65. I read recently that a law may go into efect whereby insurers will not be able to discriminate because of age. Hospital Italia and possibly Hospital Britanico may be your only choices.

I signed up with OSDE in 2002, and have been completely satisfied with the selection of doctors in their plan (especially Dra. Liliana Rossi). I paid $788AP last month (less than $200USD), and expect an increase in a couple months. I won't change because it may be difficult to get new coverage at 62 and more costly.

After reading what Medicare costs in the USA, I'm glad to be here with excellent coverage and doctors. Patient care is better than what I had in the USA.

I found a doctor certified in homeopathy and accupunture, who is not part of OSDE. It was worth paying him directly for his services.

jantango said:
I found a doctor certified in homeopathy and accupunture, who is not part of OSDE. It was worth paying him directly for his services.

Can you plz send info on this dr plz? thanks.

I went down and paid Swiss Medical today for January. A jump up to $820p and an increase in the international rider of up to $35p a month. Still way cheap compared to similar coverage in the states, but definitely on the rise.

Back