Health Insurance - Son's Pre Existing Condition

amesfarmer

Registered
My 10yo son requires growth hormone therapy and is on Norditropin (one shot nightly). He will continue to be on it until he has stopped growing. We have been in contact with an immigration lawyer in BA who suggested we make sure he is able to get his medication, or a reasonable substitution in Argentina. Right now, this is the only thing holding us back from just picking up and moving to BA. Does anyone know if these types of drugs are available there? Also, will this pre existing condition make it difficult to get insurance? I am hoping to get private insurance in Argentina and not have to get an expensive international policy. Has anyone else dealt with this? Do you know what the cost of these types of drugs are in BA if I had to pay out of pocket? They are very expensive in the US.

I see that three years ago, a woman was selling her kidney to get this medication for her son.

I suggest you talk to a pediatrician here. See what the meds cost. Out of pocket is not that expensive most of the time. We use daniel montero and love him. Excelent doc. Worthwhile to set up a call in my opinion

The website where you can check the updated price of the meds is the following:

I use it every month, the price is exactly the same as in pharmacies.

You should contact a local doctor to get the prescription for the medication so you can buy it at the pharmacy.

I don't know how easy or difficult it is to get a private doctor to prescribe it, given that it involves growth hormones. It may be helpful to bring your child's written medical history, detailing his or her current doctor's treatment, so that it can be shown to the local doctor. Even for added security, I would instead contact a good doctor online, BEFORE the trip, to make sure that there will be no problems with the continuity of the therapy.
If you obtain the prescription, you must pay 100% of its value.

Keep in mind that the cost mentioned is in Argentine pesos (today you must divide it by approximately 1100, the value of the blue dollar, to obtain the approximate cost in dollars).
Given the continuous variations in the exchange rate, this value changes day by day.

Finally, I would also recommend contacting NOVO NORDISK, Argentina email: [email protected], to ensure that there are no shortages of stock.

Last edited:
Back