Hello! ...and a thousand questions about moving to BA

marksoc said:
And he doesn´t want their kids to grow in a greedy and violent environment.

And I wonder where in Buenos Aires Brian and his family can live in a home or apartment without iron bars or anti-robo curtains (that turn day into night when closed) on all of the windows.

I left Chicago ten years ago. I lived (without incident) behind clear glass (without bars) in Lincoln Park and Wrigleyville. I didn't even have an alarm for my store. Friends who are still there are more concerned with my saftey in Argentina than their own in Chicago.

Security and safety will always be a much greater concern in BA.

PS: I wasn't being sarcastic when I suggested they move to Utah!:D[/quote]

As a European having lived in Utah I can testify it's like living in another planet so it would be different BUT stunning deserts aside Steve it is the most soulless place on earth..and whatever we can say about Argentina it's got soul and for me that makes up for many of the negatives..

fifs2 said:
As a European having lived in Utah I can testify it's like living in another planet so it would be different BUT stunning deserts aside Steve it is the most soulless place on earth.

Perhaps you never experienced two feet of fresh, deep powder at 9,000 feet in Jupiter Bowl? My soul was always soaring on those occasions (except when I wiped out in a whiteout ).

Over 50% of the population would strongly disagree with you about Utah being soulless, but I don't care about them, either (except for the fact that they take the blame for making life in Utah so boring for the rest).

Nonetheless, Utah has a lot to offer a clan like Brian's, especially if he is looking for involvement with a church and is strongly focused on family values and activities: where else would you see so many cars with "families are forever" bumper stickers?

IT is big in Utah now, too. Home schooling always has been.

steveinbsas said:
Perhaps you never experienced two feet of fresh, deep powder at 9,000 feet in Jupiter Bowl? My soul was always soaring on those occasions (except when I wiped out in a whiteout ).

Over 50% of the population would strongly disagree with you about Utah being soulless, but I don't care about them, either (except for the fact that they take the blame for making life in Utah so boring for the rest).

Nonetheless, Utah has a lot to offer a clan like Brian's, especially if he is looking for involvement with a church and is strongly focused on family values and activities: where else would you see so many cars with "families are forever" bumper stickers?

IT is big in Utah now, too. Home schooling always has been.

Steve, as a powder dog..(or should that be bitch) I am well accustomed to skiing without sight of my feet and in my first year skiied until my 6 month of pregancy with a bump as well as the powder to hinder my view...It´s true that Utah has great value families and we both agree that Park City has something of a night life to offer the non mormon but please don´t try and argue that the architecture, the theatre, the music venues, the eating out or coffee house (!) have anything near the depth of Buenos Aires. I´m guessing Brian has created his own perfect famly unit and is looking to get soemthing else out of the world..and sadly Utah is as far removed from the international community as the moon..some of my dearest friends are from Utah but some of the most ignorant people I know also hail from same...upon meeting my Swedish husband one asked "Sweden´s on the Caspain sea right?"...this cuy wants a culture shock and whilst the initial mormon, caffeine free socty will offer him that he would be bored in a nano second...

fifs2 said:
Steve, as a powder dog..(or should that be bitch) I am well accustomed to skiing without sight of my feet and in my first year skiied until my 6 month of pregancy with a bump as well as the powder to hinder my view...It´s true that Utah has great value families and we both agree that Park City has something of a night life to offer the non mormon but please don´t try and argue that the architecture, the theatre, the music venues, the eating out or coffee house (!) have anything near the depth of Buenos Aires. I´m guessing Brian has created his own perfect famly unit and is looking to get soemthing else out of the world..and sadly Utah is as far removed from the international community as the moon..some of my dearest friends are from Utah but some of the most ignorant people I know also hail from same...upon meeting my Swedish husband one asked "Sweden´s on the Caspain sea right?"...this cuy wants a culture shock and whilst the initial mormon, caffeine free socty will offer him that he would be bored in a nano second...

I didn't get the impression that Brian was primarily concerned with architecture, theatre, music venues, eating out, or coffee houses.

How many families of eleven do you know that are?

I'll take the view of the Wasatch mountains over the skyline of Buenos Aires any day. SLC is a beautifully situated city. I never liked the view from any buildings I was in anywhere near dowwntown BA. The buildings are generally ugly except when viewed from the street, and even in Recoleta, the pseudo French style buildings are increasingly being dwarfed by the 10-12 story "modern" (and often hideous) apartment buildings.

As for eating out, Utah has dozens of restaurants that blow away the generally bland food of BA. The choices are incredible, especially when it comes to ethnic restaurants, coffee shops, and cafes (try the brains and eggs at Bill and Nada's). The Utah symphony is fantastic and all of the stage presentations are in English. Anyway, Brian indicated that he would be willing to live farther out, away from the center of BA (including in a semi-rural location) and his family rarely went anywhere (all) together. That would undoubtedly limit their exposure to BA's "cultural" advantages.

The schools are also very good in Utah (high test scores) and home schooling is an option. Apparently this is not the case in Argentina. They would have to send their children to school if home schooling is not an option. There were a few good posts on that subject just today. I'd be willing to bet that Utah school children are far less ignorant of many subjects than their Argentine counterparts. I'm not using the term "ignorant" as an insult as others have in this thread. I'm ignorant of many things: quantum physics, e.g..

Brian may not want to stay in the USA, and Utah may not be the place for him and his family. If he has as successful career as he indicates, he may be able to move his entire family many places in the US and probably more than just a few different places in the world. If they decide to stay in the US all they have to do is pack (what they don't sell) and go. Moving his entire clan to Argentina will be diffficult and relatively expensive, though probably not impossible. Getting the visas for the adult children will be a major hurdle. In any case, I hope they are safe and happy, no matter where they call home.

PS: There are two things almost all visitors to Utah notice and comment on: It is incredibly CLEAN and the people are very POLITE.

Just imagine a BA we could say that about...

There is truly no measure of comparison here. There is no comparison between a large metropolitan city like BA and a place like that. There is a feeling that a lot r comparing pears and apples and that most people come from quite small places abroad thus such a little understanding of how a metro operates Besides the US or Europe which have quite small cities.

There is no wrong or right, we usually feel better with what we r accustomed and neither should be criticized without deep knowledge other than living for a while in a place without mingling with the community and speaking fluently the language.

well, this has become a discussion amongst ourselves, I think Brian's moved on to look at other destinations already -- there hasn't been a peep from him for some time now.

syngirl said:
well, this has become a discussion amongst ourselves, I think Brian's moved on to look at other destinations already -- there hasn't been a peep from him for some time now.

If there was in fact a real Brian, can you imagine trying to make a living in B.A. to feed all those mouths, plus private school tuition for 7 or 8, if there is such a person he wouldn't last 6 months unless he had very deep pockets and if he had deep pockets there are a lot of places he would be better off than B.A.

Hi Brian,,,,,,,lots of jobs here for your line of work but make sure ALL your documents are apostled in the states including a police report,,,that is if you plan to live here pemanent. I have been here for almost 5 yrs. I have my pemenete residencia and next year have my citezenship,,,hopefully.. I have hit just about any problem with doing this so I know alot.....Taxes hahahahahahahahahaha Look at the fine print in your passport..........you have to pay taxes to the U.S for what you make here...also.............if you denouce your citezenship you still have to pay the MAN in the states.

Brian, I can totally relate to what you are saying. We are South African citizens, and came to the USA 3 years ago. I've witnessed so much of what you are talking about and I totally agree. We have 3 kids, and I home-school them - all on different levels YES and it's possible. We're looking at Argentina at the moment, also going to Ecuador for 3 months for the second time now. Every country has its problems, but most 3rd world countries, especially Latin American has a strong connection with family values, I also find them more genuine than most...
There's so much to consider before making a move, and I think in your situation (if you know what's coming) then it would be best to be at a place where you can create or be part of a like-minded, supportive community. I am searching for a place where we can grow organic food, with sufficient water and clean air, away from possible civil unrest.... (one never knows). All the best with your search, and don't give up!

Back