Hello! ...and a thousand questions about moving to BA

I read this post and I just laughed....hahaha

Could you imagine this talk...

"hey honey, we have 9 kids, BUT, let's move to a country where we don't speak the language, has no opportunity for us or our kids, where our income potential will be cut in 4th (relatively speaking), where all luxury goods are twice as much as they are in the States (despite the fact we'll be making 1/4th of what we made in the States), taxes will be through the roof, beauracracy rules all, infrastructure is shit, bribery is encouraged, inflation is 25%, the economy is going to hell, and on and on and on..." that's just fcking nuts.

Don't bring 9 kids down here and pigeonhole them in a 3rd world country. Look for a 1st world country so they have opportunity to grow. Are there good things about this country?? of course there are, but i'm sorry, it doesn't touch the States. I've been down here for a year and a half and I'm a big fan of the country, but I AM going back because the quality of life is a million times better and I'm at that point where I am thinking about having kids so I want what's best for my children. Does the US have problems?? heck yeah, but the quality of life is a million times better than South America.

gsi16386 said:
I read this post and I just laughed....hahaha

Could you imagine this talk...

"hey honey, we have 9 kids, BUT, let's move to a country where we don't speak the language, has no opportunity for us or our kids, where our income potential will be cut in 4th (relatively speaking), where all luxury goods are twice as much as they are in the States (despite the fact we'll be making 1/4th of what we made in the States), taxes will be through the roof, beauracracy rules all, infrastructure is shit, bribery is encouraged, inflation is 25%, the economy is going to hell, and on and on and on..." that's just fcking nuts.

"Hey honey, things might be bad, but I've heard they have lots of dulce de leche down there!"
"That changes everything: let's move to Argentina first thing tomorrow morning!"
Life is all about priorities...
;)

Listen if you work hard you will be fine, the complicated situation of work here its specialy for the people who have not the college done. But the people who have a profetion lives well. Here you will find people living in guetos and people living in their luxury big houses ( like in the us ), and they are many many people. So your life level here will depends about you!...

fifs2 said:
Experienced resources are in demand but a lack of pure fluency will hinder you in your search and dare I say it age...I have no idea how old you are but here in Ba its usual to advertise for jobs with age limits and anyone over 35 is considered less eligible workwise.

I daresay that anyone with ten dependents (nine of them children) would be less elegible workwise, especially a foreigner. How could an employer possibly expect 100% from an employee who is likely to be dealing with the never ending "challenges" of living in a new country with a large family, almost none of whom speak the language?

Brian, I suggest you get out your US roadmap. Heck, you don't even need it. Just get the family in the van and get on I80 and head west. Stop when you get to Utah. With nine kids and a name like Brian, they'll think you're already in the club and welcome you with open arms.

And you'll feel like you're in a foreign country.:p

Actually despite some of the sarcasm in the past few posts a few very important points have been brought up which solidify why you definitely need a foreign contract if you want to come down here:

1) There are essentially no laws against discrimination in hiring policies. Technically there are, but as a newly arrived foreigner I don't think the first thing you're going to want to do is get involved in a 2, 3, or 4 year, or longer litigation suit against someone for not hiring you because you didn't fit the profile they stated in their advertisement for the position.

2) The profiles for positions generally will say something like 'We would like someone with 5-10 years experience, no older than 35 years" etc. If it's a position for a secretary it will say "We are looking for a 20-22 year old, slim woman with a happy personality" (read big boobs). Even if the advert doesn't specifically state your age, all resumes here in their biography section state date of birth. If you don't put it on your resume you can pretty much expect to be asked what your age is in the interview. They will also ask how many kids you have, if anyone has any health issues etc etc. They will then consider this information when deciding to hire you, and having this many kids unfortunately can work against you in Argentina because the company knows that if they take you on you are going to want more pay and more raises to feed the kids and keep up with the 25% inflation. Although they may not tell you, this and other factors could easily result in not being hired.

----------

SO -- if I were you, I'd look into getting a position with a firm that is either already established in Argentina, or looking to open offices in Argentina. Work there for the 2 years or so that it will take to get everyone speaking some level of spanish and gather all of the paperwork necessary for the move, then apply for a transfer. Or you can try and do it faster, but you really need to have all the paperwork in order for the kids (if you have a look on the site for FBI reports you'll see that just for the processing of one report there are stories of it taking anywhere from a few weeks to 8 months or so).

Remember that Argentina has the second highest inflation in all of latin America (we're beaten out by Venezuela).

The one good thing for your kids compared to the States I guess is if they had their DNIs university will be free for them here. However, as mentioned by someone else -- I don't want Argentina to become my kids' ONLY choice.

However, maybe there's a lot we don't know about you -- maybe you're more than financially secure right now. If you have tonnes of savings and investments and can afford to take the risk with so many people dependent on you, I'd say go for it. Families with 2 or 3 kids have. Maybe we're all making the wrong assumption that with so many dependents you may not have the savings necessary, but you know your finances much better than a bunch of strangers on a forum, so if it seems like a relatively low risk situation, go for it -- but I'd do it on a foreign contract for sure -- trying to come independently and get a job here on a local's salary is probably not going to help you have a successful move.

suerte!

syngirl said:
However, maybe there's a lot we don't know about you -- maybe you're more than financially secure right now.

In a previous post Brian indicated that he was more than financially secure:

"I'm definitely at the top of the food chain."

That should help facilitate his desire to escape the "materialistic and self destructive culture" of the USA.

Reaching or staying at the top in Argentina is an entirely different matter;)

Financially well off, a posse of kids from all corners of the globe, 'he' may be be angelina jolie undercover

steveinbsas said:
In a previous post Brian indicated that he was more than financially secure:

"I'm definitely at the top of the food chain."

That should help facilitate his desire to escape the "materialistic and self destructive culture" of the USA.

Reaching or staying at the top in Argentina is an entirely different matter;)

I think he meant in terms of career not status wise.

The OP is either serious and insane or its another phony thread somebody started that get their jollies from all the responses it generates.

As I mentioned, this forum tends to get pretty negative pretty quickly. I was clearly being overly diplomatic. The truly ignorant responses are certainly not representative of most of the expats I have enjoyed getting to know here. In fact, one of the things I enjoy most about living here is meeting so many people from countries OTHER than Canada or the US, who have left by choice because the values and lifestyle in BA appeals to theirs AND they have the option to do so. That said, the challenge of staying here is generally financial and securing long-term income or a career path that makes sense. Among my friends, that is the reason people leave.

The irony is that the original poster is essentially being bashed for wanting to leave the US by Americans who have chosen not to live in the US.

Back