Help! Argentine boss not paying me, owes me 2,000 pesos.

SylviaM

Registered
I worked for a company that will not be named for the moment teaching English. The owner of the company was supposed to pay me for the month of December at the beginning of January and he has yet to pay me. He owes me 2,000 pesos. What would you all suggest I do? What is some kind of action I can take given that I was working in black?

Thank you so much for your time and help!
Sylvia

Since you work ''en negro'', I don't think you have too many options, unfortunately. You could always threaten to report them for paying you under the table and for hiring undocumented workers (if that is the case). That might get them to cough up the cash a bit more quickly.

Either way, don't work another day and seek employment elsewhere.

I'm not an expert on argentine law so take what I say with a huge grain of salt, but I would figure that any contract involving a plan to commit illegal activity (tax evasion), such as your work contract, would be completely unenforceable.

Presumably you have contact details for several of his clients since you were giving them lessons. You can tell him that you will contact them and let them know how his company treats their employees. He will not want to lose his clients.

Yea, definately head into a lawyers office. As long as you have something that shows you worked there, you will win, even if you are here working illegaly.

AFIP is another good one to threaten since your wages weren't declared. How long were you working there? Gather all the evidence that you have that you've been their employee, just in case, and seek legal council. Because it would be a labor lawsuit, your fees to the lawyer would be minimal and they would end up having to pay lawyer's fees. May be a lot of hassle for 2k, but who knows they may end up owing you for more. The system HEAVILY favors employees, even ones in negro. Good luck!

Actually, I'm not sure she doesn't have a foot to stand on. Haven't we heard about those cleaning ladies working en negro suing their employers?

I told him I would report what is happening to me on the sites where they hire people - and he told me that he would sue me for defamation.

Back