Help Needed Please

Encargados (aka porteros) are the best paid workers around, they make more than anyone. $6000 peso starting salary is good for Argentina--and I know a lot of people who make $4000 or $5000. Don´t compare a salary with what an encargado makes. Mine (and I live in a crappy building) makes $3500 a month and works 16 hours a week, plus $1500 in benefits. And no, we cannot fire her.

Yep the porteros dont do too bad, why do you think most have them have been in the building for years on end. Pretty much they will only move when they are removed which as MP said is pretty much impossible anyway. Ours actually has another job as well and still charges additional hours. Swear on average he would not work more than 20 hours a week and still takes home about 8k. Luckily hes a good bloke, always willing to lend a helping hand and good for a chat.

And people wonder why this country is falling apart...

Heh - well, most of us don't wonder :)

I have a friend who owns an apartment in a building where the portero employs his wife to help him, and they both charge an exorbitant sum for overtime hours, on top of their regular benefits, which are pretty hefty, as mentioned. The overtime is not approved, to the extent that they bill it.

They owners have bitched and moaned to the portero. The consortium of owners has tried holding back the extra funds, but the portero took it to the union and the consortium ended up having to pay. The portero tells them "go ahead, take me to court and try to get me out" with a smug smile on his face. One, he knows everything is in his favor and two, he knows the Argentino owners will not go to the expense and bother of actually trying to get him removed, without paying an extremely hefty sum in severance for both he and his wife.

Roll over and die because it's cheaper and easier. They'd rather continue to pay the extortion. I can understand that to an extent, for sure. Particularly in business when dealing with employees.

What's wrong with the country is the justice system, the strength of the unions, the mentality of the people who agree with most of the things the unions want anyway, except when they're on the receiving end of the problems, along with many other things which shall remain unnamed in this post for brevity's sake ;)

let me start first with the reasons of why did i chose Argentina. As i told you i am Syrian and i live in Saudi Arabia, actually i was born and raised in saudi arabia, my father works here for 35 years now, he is an architect he designed about 13 hospitals in this country but until now he cant have a house of his own because he is not Saudi imagine that my father is in this for 35 years and i was born in this country but we cant have the saudi nationality we cant have our own house, also to live in this country without having its nationality this means that in order to stay in the country you must have a Saudi sponsor whether ( a Saudi guy or a company) this means in anytime if you didnt satisfy the sponsor he can kick you out of the country and he doesnt have to specify the reason and you have no right to object. So, basically we are treated here like animals :(((.
so as i mentioned is that the only thing i know is getting out of the region not just the country, so i started with Europe while i was searching i found that in order to get a working visa the company who wants to hire me should write a report showing how they couldnt have any EU citizen who can work in this position, then i get the visa. Dont forget that i am a fresh graduate people with experience nowadays cant find a job.
Then i moved to North America whether Canada or the US, well i might have a chance to get a job there but the visa is very hard to get. I came up with an idea of studying master in the US, this gives me a chance to increase my knowledge and also it helps me to find a job in the US. I liked this idea very much and i was working on it until i told my parents because i need their help the school there will cost me about 35,000$ to 40,000$ they were helpful at first but then i found out how much money does my father have in his bank account, it was about 48,000$ so i was disappointed because my father will retire in the next two years so im sure that he will need this money. so i took out the US because it is costly and the visa is hard.
Next i looked in South America which i always had a thing for these countries specially Argentina, so i found out what the rights i have when i come to the country ( in a pdf file publish by the Argentinean embassy) that i can walk freely and buy and sell, so i was like :))) words can never express what i really felt. the thing that i am looking for is a simple life i dont want big house or fancy cars, i just want a place to stay, people around me who loves me, freedom of speech, a place to work in, and a place where they appreciate music.
Another thing to add as you all know the situation is Syria now is very bad ( for you who dont know, the government and the people are now fighting and killing each other for nearly two years now, so people are running away) because of the people are running away and you know that we reached a time in this world were countries and people stop helping each other, so now countries when they see a Syrian passport its like they saw a monster. thats why i told you that it is hard or near impossible to get a visa like this.
My plan B would be Malaysia.

Please if you have any ideas tell me. Thank You

Hello,

your second explanation is clearer. The US and Europe are indeed difficult to get into. A lot of Indian IT people enter Europe by working first in Indian companies that hire them out as contractors to Western companies who then decide to take them over. Though if you are not employed by a European company, it is indeed hard to get a European visum.

Argentina would have looser immigration laws, but there should be more knowledgeable people than me on this forum. If emigrating to South America, I would consider Uruguay or Chile first and then maybe Brazil or Colombia. Argentina would not be my first choice, because the economical and political situation is not so good and appears to be getting worse.

Have you considered emigrating to Australia or New Zealand? These countries should be more open to immigrants than Europe and the US.

Good luck

As the first person to reply to your thread, I wondered why come here? Does not look to me like a good choice.
Already posted my opinion and experience of your field of expertise's market situation. My opinion seems to have echoes with others in the same area but is contested by some people that read otherwise in the newspapers.
Go figure, I might have to start reading and following my daily horoscope and live by the newspapers holy scriptures.

Regarding Argentina's political situation, this is going from bad to worse.
I'm fearing this country will get flooded with foreigners from less fortunate neighboring countries.
The current government wants their votes to perpetuate itself. These people will come work for less and put more pressure on workers and salaries. We are already seing an irrational increase on taxes and cost of living. Income is dissapearing by the minute. I can tell, I read it on the news.
These immigrants might or might not become nationals, likely not. But the effect of their presence is felt on the system.
This pressure at the bottom will also generate negative feelings towards the richer and also focus on wealthier foreigners, often perceived as living above the law and our daily miseries instead of sharing them. They will be targeted for worse type crimes.

Might not want to join the forthcoming party. Doesn't appeal to me like it's going to be fun.

Most of this crap is strictly politics. Divide and rule. Play one against the other.
Meanwhile the country is drying up as an entity on most if not all aspects of human activities and productivity.

Stay away if you can or, If you don't have a choice, be forewarned. Without the language you'll also be more helpless than most.

I personally know 3 people who have obtained visas to live in the US via this program. It looks like the application process is closed for next year, but it is something to keep in mind.
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1322.html

Neal, I sympathize with you completely. You are in a tough situation.

Even just visiting the US (for example) for a foreigner can be a tough thing, particularly for people from certain countries. My own wife cannot currently visit the States because she is under a certain age and from a poor country (though not a country on a "watch" list) and a recent immigrant (7 years!!!!) to Argentina, unless we go through the whole immigration to the US routine. We don't want to do that because we live here, help support her brothers and sisters who live here (two live with us to go to school here, the rest support themselves, but need help from time to time) and travel often to Paraguay to help her family who still lives there (really, really big family!). My father has cancer and has never met his daughter-in-law, yet we cannot get her a tourist visa, even though she's married to an American - in fact that actually hurts her possibilities to enter the country just as a tourist.

I'm not sure that your position is the worst it could be yet, though. I don't know enough about Saudi Arabia and living there, although I've certainly heard a few things. However, if you're not in any imminent danger or about to be in serious problems, often the situation you know is better than the unknown if you're not prepared.

Things are not all that easy in Argentina for foreigners right now, be they rich or poor. They're not all that easy for Argentinos either, of course. Iznogud is completely correct in what he says, as far as I'm concerned. The government here is doing many things patterned off of what Chavez has done in Venezuela. I won't debate the good or bad of it, as I have my own opinions and have expressed them many times here and that's another subject.

However, in relation to foreigners, I can't see things getting better under the current regime. The president here uses things, such as the Falklands, the international debt that Argentina accumulated supposedly in good faith and then defaulted on which is being called an "invalid foreign debt", has stolen a huge part of an oil company from Spain because they wanted to actually make money instead of trying to support the government's idiotic price controls, are very "anti-colonialist" and often use that as an excuse for things that are done, etc. All to unite as many people as possible under the flag of "solidarity to Argentina" which as Iznogud mentions really appeals to the poor more often than the rich, and the poor outnumber the rich by a good percentage here. All of that combines to make foreigners (particularly foreigners from "colonialist" countries, to be sure) somewhat of a target if things get further heated up. So far that hasn't happened to any reat degree, but who knows what the coming months and years will bring.

Heavy import and export restrictions, price controls, horrible labor laws (for businesses trying to start up a company or employ people), strong unions for some industries and none for others, a very corrupt justice system, and many other things, all come together to make it seem to many of us that Argentina won't necessarily be rising very far in the years to come unless things change quite a bit. The manner in which the government is approaching these things doesn't help foreign immigrants much at all, although those who will have the worst time of, as Iznogud says (and I agree with him) are likely to be South American immigrants.

My brothers-in-law all work back-breaking jobs to barely make ends meet. They live in dingy, dirty places because it's very difficult to find reasonable housing on the wages they make and they don't have family that own property here to guaranty something as simple as a lease on a decent apartment. They certainly can't afford to rent a temporary apartment, as if the owners of such apartments would even rent to them, being where they're from. They either live far outside the city and commute to and from work (a good hour to two hours each way at times - when the trains are running), or live in "hotels" in the city that don't have bathrooms or kitchenettes even in their rooms. They work typically 6 or 6 1/2 days a week, 9-12 hours a day and maybe make as much as 3800 pesos a month on the high end, or barely 2000 pesos a month on the low end. One of my brothers-in-law was lucky enough to fall in love with a young lady (Peruana) whose father works for Terrabusi and got him a union job riding with a delivery truck and collecting money from customers, for about 4800 pesos a month, plus benefits, and only works 5 days a week, 9 hours a day.

To be fair, they are not educated past high school (one of them dropped out before the last year), so they have much less opportunity to find something better-paying than what they are currently working in. I don't know that it would be easier for someone who is well-educated, but it may well be.

BTW - every one of my brothers-in-law came here from Paraguay unable to speak, and barely able to understand, Spanish. They all speak Guarani where they come from. Their culture is a mix of guarani and spanish, though, so they have a leg up on many foreigners who come here without speaking Spanish. Guarani as is spoken by most in Paraguay is about 20% or so mixed with Spanish so it's a bit easier for them to pick it up relatively quickly.

If you come here, you may not be able to find a job doing what you've been trained for, but you could almost certainly find something along the lines of what my brothers-in-law do. You may also be able to find a better job due to your education, but perhaps not in the field you seek. If you can tolerate that, and think that you may be better off working and living like that until you can somehow break into the industry here or find a better job in another industry, I can understand that. You may even get lucky and do so relatively quickly. You may also be able to find jobs overseas via telecommuting on sites like Freelancer.com, etc, but that's going to require a computer and an internet connection and a lot of patience to find projects - competing with people from all over the world who often bid projects ridiculously low.

I feel bad that I have no other advice to offer. I really despise the immigration policies of many of the "first-world" countries, but understand to a small extent why it is so (still don't agree with much of it, even in understanding). Unfortunately, for now, it is the world in which we live - which is easy for me to say because I recognize that I, personally, am much more fortunate than the vast majority of the population of this planet, and that very fact really saddens me, particularly when I contemplate why it is so.

As far as the freedoms you mention - you are completely correct that here seems like it would be much better than where you are. At least, for the time being, and I don't really see a lot of that changing, on a person-to-person basis. It's one thing, perversely, that I like about here compared to the States - for the most part people leave you alone and let you live your life, within the life you can afford to live. It may make some sense for you, given what you describe as conditions in Saudi Arabia, to put up with some discomfort in your living conditions and work requirements to have some freedom.

Back