HELP! Should I cancel my California Health Insurre?ance? Is there good healthcare he

Tammy Michelle

Registered
Hello! Im asking for some advice! Im thinking of cancelling my Blue Cross insurance and Im going to live here for a year.....BUT Im nervous if something happens here what the helth service is like? I heard its free...BUT is it good? Has anyone used it?? Thoughts? What about yearly "womens exams? Are they covered or is it expensive to go to a privathat do most expats do for health coverage? I called Blue Cross and they scare you that you wont get coverage or will be way more expensive (thx Obama!!) when I return in a year! Need some solid advice please!! Thanks!

Tammy Michelle said:
Hello! Im asking for some advice! Im thinking of cancelling my Blue Cross insurance and Im going to live here for a year.....BUT Im nervous if something happens here what the helth service is like? I heard its free...BUT is it good? Has anyone used it?? Thoughts? What about yearly "womens exams? Are they covered or is it expensive to go to a privathat do most expats do for health coverage? I called Blue Cross and they scare you that you wont get coverage or will be way more expensive (thx Obama!!) when I return in a year! Need some solid advice please!! Thanks!

Your cheap shot at Obama would be better directed at trial lawyers and cooperate greed.
Why should medical care be free in Argentina for Americans when you would probably deny the same coverage to Mexicans in the USA?
Don't cancel your coverage you may not last 6 weeks.

Think if you canceled, the "pre-existing condition" clause could come back to haunt you if the Health Bill changes. My two pennies worth.

I don´t know about free health in BA. Every Porteño I´ve ever met through the years has had private insurance. I would think that even if you wanted free health care, it wouldn´t be available to you. Private insurane here is fairly inexpensive and doctors services are excellent. Maybe you could arrange (in writing) with Blus Cross to not pay for their insurance for the time that you´ll be here and continue with their service when you returrn to EEUU?

Medical benefits can be obtained here but the quality of care is variable and not up to US standards. No hospital has Joint Commission accreditation, and finding physicians who are board certified...and speak fluent English in these institutions can be trying, particularly when there is a serious medical problem. My suggestion: buy international coverage that will pay no matter where you go in Argentina and also cover yourself for "repatriation" in the event of a critical issue.

Tammy Michelle said:

.. here's free but usually getting an appointment can take forever ..but! .. go
to Hospital Aleman(German Hospital) on Pueyrredon and 2 blocks from Santa Fe and for 30 bucks you'll get a dr's appointment.

If you're going back in a year, I wouldn't cancel your insurance. You're probably going to go to the States for visits and would want the coverage for emergencies.

My husband and I have insurance through Swiss Medical. Their doctors and facilities are great. Granted, the exam practices are different, but you ARE in a different country, so that's to be expected.

The ER here is pretty good. You may have to wait hours to see a doctor, but it's relatively cheap ($50-$100 pesos per visit) and the care is pretty good without all of the painful paperwork.

Whatever you decide, good luck, and be safe.

Thuy

It sounds like you are young and if you are going to be here for only a year you only need something basic to cover you for you yearly gyno, maybe a general practitioner and dermatologist, and accidents or emergencies. I would take one of the Plans form one of the Hospitals with the small co pays which are never more than 5 to 15 pesos and most even include dentistry. Hospital Aleman, Britanico, Italiano or Cemic are all very good. Do not go to the Insurance Co like Swiss Medical, Medicus, Galeno, they are twice as expensive and you have to wait six months to use most of the services anyway. Let me know if you have any questions. Best, vr236.

Health coverage in Argentina is universal and truly nothing compared to what is shown in Micheal Moore's last documentary SICKO. Although public health infrastructure is in bad shape because of decades budget cuts, doctors are very good and even transplants are carried out without having to pay a penny. For those who are better off there is a range of private health insurance options available all of which offer very good and broad covarage. My suggestions from higher cost to lower are: Medicus, OSDE, Swiss Medical, Accord. In general full coverage is effective after the third month. You can rest assured that the coverage you will get is superior to the US so if you keep your insurance there should be question of what benefits it offers you when you return. Wish you good health and good luck.

Had not read vr236's comment so wanted to mention as well that Hospital Aleman, Britanico and Italiano are very good as well and the cost is lower.

Back