Help Understanding Flight Booking

Delta was mistaken. The 35% is ONLY when you pay in pesos and the govt. has to convert to USD because it's international travel. Foreigners can't pay in pesos anymore. I used to do my colonia runs, pay in pesos, pay 20% on top. The last time, only CC or USD. I paid with my American card and didn't pay the 35%. You need to do some research. The 35% is NOT A FIXED TAX, IT'S A CURRENCY EXCHANGE COMPENSATION FEE. DO SOME RESEARCH.

Yes you will! The tax is added at source and not dependent on payment type.

I actually think it all depends on the mood of the ticket agent at the time you purchase the ticket. You never know here. I bought a Colonia Express ticket to Uruguay with my foreign credit card and got charged 35%. I bought an international airplane ticket in December 2013 from Aerolineas Argentinas in cash and was still charged 35%. Plus they insisted on me filling AFIP form. I don't recommend buying a ticket in Argentina because come tax time AFIP will want to know where you got the money to travel from. Then they'll want their cut.

AFIP.jpg

Notice the Res. 3550 AFIP above from the www.despegar.com.ar webiste for $5.569 and above that is Impuestos y tasas for $6.383.
Below I was testing the results and tried to purchase the ticket and instead of putting my DNI info in I tried to purchase the ticket as US citizen. You see the results below.

AFIP22.jpg

You were trying to buy in pesos. That is no longer allowed. You were also going to get charged the 35% because they need to convert those pesos to dollars, not because it's a travel tax everyone pays.

You were trying to buy in pesos. That is no longer allowed. You were also going to get charged the 35% because they need to convert those pesos to dollars, not because it's a travel tax everyone pays.

I didn't choose the currency, the webpage did. If I put US citizen then it should automatically change the the currency to US dollars but that didn't happen.

I actually think it all depends on the mood of the ticket agent at the time you purchase the ticket. You never know here. I bought a Colonia Express ticket to Uruguay with my foreign credit card and got charged 35%. I bought an international airplane ticket in December 2013 from Aerolineas Argentinas in cash and was still charged 35%. Plus they insisted on me filling AFIP form. I don't recommend buying a ticket in Argentina because come tax time AFIP will want to know where you got the money to travel from. Then they'll want their cut.

In the case of viabariloche it's all electronic, so it's irrelevant if purchasing online or at a bus terminal/sales office as it will be added as standard, that's just my experience. I don't think in this case the agent has any say over it.....?

Also although I haven't done much digging, the resolution on the above screen shot is RESOLUTION 3550 (based on the conversion of US$ to Pesos) as opposed to RESOLUTION 3450 (acquisition of services in the exterior from a travel agent within Argentina) in my screen shot:

RESOLUTION 3450 Adelanto del Impuesto a las Ganancias o sobre los Bienes Personales. (http://www.afip.gov....ades/rg3450.asp)
  • b ) Las operaciones de adquisición de servicios en el exterior contratados a través de agencias de viajes y turismo —mayoristas y/o minoristas—, del país.
  • c) Las operaciones de adquisición de servicios de transporte terrestre, aéreo y por vía acuática, de pasajeros con destino fuera del país.
RESOLUTION 3550 Operaciones en moneda extranjera para gastos de turismo y/o compras al o en el exterior. Adelanto de impuestos (http://www.afip.gov....ades/rg3550.asp)

Slightly off-topic and don't quote me on this, but as a Monotributo I think I'm able to claim this tax back against my Bienes Personales.....?

In the case of viabariloche it's all electronic, so it's irrelevant if purchasing online or at a bus terminal/sales office as it will be added as standard, that's just my experience. I don't think in this case the agent has any say over it.....?

Also although I haven't done much digging, the resolution on the above screen shot is RESOLUTION 3550 (based on the conversion of US$ to Pesos) as opposed to RESOLUTION 3450 (acquisition of services in the exterior from a travel agent within Argentina) in my screen shot:

RESOLUTION 3450 Adelanto del Impuesto a las Ganancias o sobre los Bienes Personales. (http://www.afip.gov....ades/rg3450.asp)
  • b ) Las operaciones de adquisición de servicios en el exterior contratados a través de agencias de viajes y turismo —mayoristas y/o minoristas—, del país.
  • c) Las operaciones de adquisición de servicios de transporte terrestre, aéreo y por vía acuática, de pasajeros con destino fuera del país.
RESOLUTION 3550 Operaciones en moneda extranjera para gastos de turismo y/o compras al o en el exterior. Adelanto de impuestos (http://www.afip.gov....ades/rg3550.asp)

Slightly off-topic and don't quote me on this, but as a Monotributo I think I'm able to claim this tax back against my Bienes Personales.....?

And the Res. 5499? "solo podrán comprar en este sitio residentes de la República Argentina."

I don't see how that changes the spirit of the law and the real purpose of it. None of it disproves what I've been telling you. I only posted to help the OP with a question and instead I got sucked into this retarded debate. I'm out.

Non resident, am a bonafide tourist., none anything in Argentina other than a 90 day wonder: tourist. CUIT # is what showed up on the receipt. It is associated with Delta. Trust me, I paid the 35% tax for myself and GF for our trip. I know it is ridiculous but it is what it is. Talked to Delta and to do business in Argentina, they collect the 35%. There are two decrees, the 35% and foreigners cannot pay in pesos. No exemption because you have to pay in dollars.
I think the problem you were having is with Delta, as it appears that they are issuing all ex Argentina tickets from Argentina, whether you buy on the US website or from the AR one, However there is an easy way around this, if you are paying with a foreign CC book the ticket with a US OTA(Expedia, cheaptickets etc), and the ticket will be issued/sold from the US, and no additional 35% tax is collected, as the 35% is only collected on tickets issued in Argentina that contain foreign travel.

Back