Help! What power adapter/converter/device for laptop, camera do I need??

captdave said:
Laptops, since they are running off (or through) a battery, are functionally immune to power fluctuations. Just plug it in and go.....

Well... true... most likely you're not going to have data loss as a result of a power outage or surge using a laptop since it's battery serves as it's own built in UPS.

But I'm not quite so sure I'd have confidence that my hardware isn't going to take a beating with the spikes, surges, brownouts, or worse. First thing that could get toasted is the power adapter and I'm not sure how easy they are to replace here. But work your way up from there and your system could very easily suffer quite a bit of damage.

For my money, a estabilizador de tension is going to give you an added layer of protection. And they are readily available and not very expensive.

Just my .02 centavos worth.

HenryNisental said:
For transformers you can also check La Casa del Transformador, In Parana St
corner to B. Mitre ,I think.
VA means Volt times Amp, which is one Watt.
So, if you have an appliance rated at, say, 5 Amps, you need a (110 V x 5 Amp) or about 550 Watts.
Easy enough?

Sorry but NO, Watts are calculated by multiplying volts times amps DC but if you are using AC (justabout anywhere in the world) you also need to multiply by something called power factor, which is why they use VA not Watts. Most inductive loads have a power factor of around .85 meaning if you are drawing 550watts you would use about 647 VA.
Could be why so many are blowing up their transformers.

We can go on being more and more technical, but for those with no engineering background just allow yourselves 15%.

Back