Here's Another Crime Story.

So lemme get this straight,if you ban firearms you are safer???i got an idea let's ban cocaine so that way we win the war on drugs!!!oh wait it's been done,didn't work.If Australians don't think they need to have guns fine by me.But i dislike the idea of an unarmed man trying to defend his family against 4 unarmed thugs.....mmmm only just only if he had a gun he coulda have a fighting chance.You see no matter how tough you are ,all it takes is 2 bigger guys and now you are facing a fight you are gonna lose.In order to be judged by a court of law to see if your actions are justified, first of all you must be alive.I pick being judged and maybe'' face the music'' than being a dead obedient citizen that didn't armed himself because your gov't don't allow you.
In Australia we had a mass shooting in 1996 where 35 people were killed and 25 more injured. It was a nation's worst mass killing ever and as such we made a decision as a nation to disarm our citizens rather than increase our arms. There was a compulsory gun buy-back where 700,000 guns were surrendered and crushed (which is a lot given the population of Australia). Automatic and semi-automatic weapons were banned and all guns laws tightened. It is very difficult to buy a gun in Australia these days. Lo and behold we haven't had a mass shooting since 1996 and gun deaths have dropped dramatically across the board. It is incredibly rare to be a victim of gun crime in Australia because we removed the weapons from our citizens. We don't need to worry about four armed men breaking into our houses in the middle of the night because guns are so hard to access and have I mentioned that people just don't have guns?! Was everyone happy about the gun buy-back? Of course not, but 17 years after it all happened Australians en masse agree that disarming our citizens was one of the best moves Australia has made. We are all safer and happier for it and go to sleep at night not worried that we're going to be a victim on a gun crime.

Kerriem

I understand your point of view,from what you are telling us it really worked in your country ,however it would be interesting to have some input from the population in rural areas of Australia.Again i respect your stand but i disagree and i will tell you why,no gov't ,state or administration can or will guarantee your well being or survival in a life or death situation,that's why we have door locks ,seatbelts,fire extinguishers,baby seats for cars,and such,all these safety items are regulated by the gov't but if you don't use them properly they will do you no good..
A gun is no more and no less than that, a tool for a specific use.
What rubs me the wrong way is that most gov't in the world are pretty much outlawing guns in hands of civilians.and as we say in the west,i don't trust the gov't that fears the gun of an honest law obeying civilian.Who are they to take away my right to self defense? .as i say it's a right,you have the right to arm your self or not.,but most administrations want to get rid of guns while they keep theirs and criminals keep theirs.
Anyways i came to this forum to make new friends and i think if i keep the conversation up i'm gonna end up with some new enemies hahaaha
By the way it's almost 3 am i got up to check up on some noises coming from the main gate,turned out to be a bunch of stray dogs however i had my phone locked and loaded ready to shoot up some text messages at them if i were to be attacked

What strikes me when I read posts from gun lovers is their paranoia and that they always ignore the fact that where guns are freely available there are always more deaths by guns.

Abject, elitist nonsense. Dare I suggest a bit of Bourdieu? Pathetic.
Ironic to in one breath promote the idea educational capita/social capital while simultaneously presenting yourself as an intellectual troll. Let me guess - teacher?

For the other side of the coin, you might check out John Taylor Gatto. He presents an interesting picture of our modern school system having its roots as a method of controlling populations, and the striking differences between the education of the masses and the elite.

What strikes me when I read posts from gun lovers is their paranoia and that they always ignore the fact that where guns are freely available there are always more deaths by guns.

Paranoia!?? You will see when the zombie invasion surprises you unarmed ;-)

In my nuclear proof basement I even store garlic, silver bullets, a cross, two pictures of Bergoglio and unlimited number of videos of Crisitina talking in cadena nacional.

Thats the reason you need a gun here. In Argentina is is much easier to purchase a gun illegally than legal.
As a gun owner I actually like how they make it difficult to legally obtain a gun licence so it helps prevent any yahoo owning one.
It is not the legal gun owners who are the problem, just the fact that the Americas is awash in illegal arms.
If they would get serious about penalties for possessing an unlicensed gun it would be a much safer place.

Paranoia!?? You will see when the zombie invasion surprises you unarmed ;-)

In my nuclear proof basement I even store garlic, silver bullets, a cross, two pictures of Bergoglio and unlimited number of videos of Crisitina talking in cadena nacional.

HHAHAAAAAA will it be to paranoid to use the seatbelt in my truck eventhou i never needed it since i 've never been in a wreck?
In california alone there are more deaths from car wrecks every year than gun related deaths,keeping in mind that there are some 350 million registered guns in the United States.I say if you don't like guns ,that's fine but i really don't appreciate being called paranoid because i own guns.

Here's what's worked for me: 3 locks on the front door of every apartment that I've lived in. That way if you do have to leave the key with someone, only give them one or maybe two of them and there will always be a lock that nobody else but you has a key to. Install one of those monitored alarm systems, cost around $149 per month, wireless installation and you can change the code as you wish so again if you do have people coming in such as workers you can give them the code than reset it once they are finished. Also put those ADT or other company's alarm stickers on front door and terrace doors / windows. I also have apartment insurance from "La Caja", cost is $42 pesos YES only $42 pesos per month which covers robbery, fire, lockouts, home emergencies, etc. These were exactly the same measures that I used in New York City where I was born and raised and use them here as well. Never had my apartment robbed in NYC or here. In my opinion the only difference between Bs. As. in terms of crime is that here break-ins happen in every neighborhood including ritzy ones like Recoleta and Puerto Madero and in NYC that is a rare occurence. Break-ins are not at all common in high-rent districts like the Upper East Side or SoHo, but they are in other neighborhoods. Any big city anywhere in the world is a magnet for criminials. It's inevitable. Be careful and enjoy all that there is to enjoy.

Kerriem

I understand your point of view,from what you are telling us it really worked in your country ,however it would be interesting to have some input from the population in rural areas of Australia.Again i respect your stand but i disagree and i will tell you why,no gov't ,state or administration can or will guarantee your well being or survival in a life or death situation,that's why we have door locks ,seatbelts,fire extinguishers,baby seats for cars,and such,all these safety items are regulated by the gov't but if you don't use them properly they will do you no good..
A gun is no more and no less than that, a tool for a specific use.
What rubs me the wrong way is that most gov't in the world are pretty much outlawing guns in hands of civilians.and as we say in the west,i don't trust the gov't that fears the gun of an honest law obeying civilian.Who are they to take away my right to self defense? .as i say it's a right,you have the right to arm your self or not.,but most administrations want to get rid of guns while they keep theirs and criminals keep theirs.
Anyways i came to this forum to make new friends and i think if i keep the conversation up i'm gonna end up with some new enemies hahaaha
By the way it's almost 3 am i got up to check up on some noises coming from the main gate,turned out to be a bunch of stray dogs however i had my phone locked and loaded ready to shoot up some text messages at them if i were to be attacked
I am from rural Australia. I grew up on a farm in rural Victoria where my parents still live. My family, like the rest of the population, had the two guns we owned compulsorily acquired. Rural Australia carried on like pork chops over the compulsory buy-back at the time ("the sun won't come up tomorrow" etc.) but now (largely) agree that it has been a good thing for the nation. No one is trying to claim that any government could guarantee every single person's safety 100 per cent of the time, but I think the fact that gun deaths in Australia plummeted after the buy-back and that we haven't had a mass shooting in the 17 years since speaks volumes. We are safer in Australia because we have less guns than we used to, not the other way around.

Ironic to in one breath promote the idea educational capita/social capital while simultaneously presenting yourself as an intellectual troll. Let me guess - teacher?

For the other side of the coin, you might check out John Taylor Gatto. He presents an interesting picture of our modern school system having its roots as a method of controlling populations, and the striking differences between the education of the masses and the elite.

never taught a day in my life. outside the cartoon-centric US and its lackey Anglophonic countries, reading a bit of sociology or philosophy doesn't qualify anyone as an intellectual; it's just part of being a grown up.

I don't know Gatto, but framing modern school systems as having their roots as a method of controlling populations has been the conventional view for the last couple of hundred years. My experience of private schooling is that it's heavy on indoctrinating the ruling classes and inculcating a right-to-rule mentality, in which it differs markedly from the public system. And rightly so.

Back