Hi And Travel Question!

Murg

Registered
Hi all,

My name is Dimitris and I moved to Buenos Aires from the UK around 11 months ago, I should say that this site has helped me with so many things that I can't even remember, in my adaptation process here but I had never ventured out to Registering let alone posting.

So here goes:

I would like to travel to the UK for an academic conference in August and I am wondering about the whole business of buying plane tickets taking into account the...wonderful 35% tax which they are now imposing on foreign travel. Does anyone know if I will have any issues at the airport if I buy the tickets from UK website using a UK-based debit card? I should add that I have a permanent visa here through my Argentinian wife (in case it's relevant).

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

No way!!The 35% tax applies only when you buy the here with ARG pesos at the official (i.e. inexistent) rate.
If you buy it with USD or Euros the tax does not apply, I think.

Hi all,

My name is Dimitris and I moved to Buenos Aires from the UK around 11 months ago, I should say that this site has helped me with so many things that I can't even remember, in my adaptation process here but I had never ventured out to Registering let alone posting.

So here goes:

I would like to travel to the UK for an academic conference in August and I am wondering about the whole business of buying plane tickets taking into account the...wonderful 35% tax which they are now imposing on foreign travel. Does anyone know if I will have any issues at the airport if I buy the tickets from UK website using a UK-based debit card? I should add that I have a permanent visa here through my Argentinian wife (in case it's relevant).

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Hi Dimitris! I can assure you that this is not an issue at all. As has been said, the 35% "Malvinas Son Argentinas y Hijo de puta Yanquis" tax
only applies to the following types of cases:

- using your argie debit or credit card in Uruguay/abroad
- using your argie credit card online and paying anywhere in non-pesos
- buying dollars from the bank or exchange house with afip ok and not keeping them in an account for a year
- buy prepackaged vacations or flights or hotels from an argie travel agency (the tax is built in to the cost)

Thanks everyone! That's really helpful.

I had a hunch that this was the case as well since they cannot possibly trace, let alone charge, a transaction taking place in a foreign bank with foreign currency BUT in my last few months living here I'm becoming slightly over-cautious - I'm sure you all know the feeling!!

Many thanks once again

Back