Hi Guys

Killarney

Registered
Just saying hello as I think I will be using this forum a lot! I will be moving from Ireland to BA for 3 months at the end of January. My plan is to learn Spanish, meet people and enjoy life basically! If I like it I might stay 6 months....9 months....until I get sick of it...and who knows if I meet an Argentinian lass I may just stay...lol.

If I don't stay then I am thinking of returning to Europe and living in Spain...Valencia perhaps....so hopefully they will understand the "strange" Spanish I learn in Argentina. Sick of the Irish rain.

I have been doing some reading about finding gyms, Spanish schools etc so I will read more before duplicating questions. I'll ask more later if I need to. Most important is learning the language and meeting some interesting people.

For the moment I was wondering if anyone has a furnished studio or preferably a one bedroom apartment they would like to rent for 3 months?
Need wi-fi (decent wi-fi)..also I noticed that 99% of the short term apartments have no washing facilities. Do you people that stay in these apartments wash by hand or take the clothes out every single time? Seems tough and perhaps expensive.

Hope to meet some of you guys soon!

Dan

Hi Dan.
Pre-welcome.
You should enable PM (private messages) in Control Panel.
I'm local and have a one-bedroom in http://tinyurl.com/araoz-mapa

I've washing machine but taking clothes out it's not Soooo expensive (I don't use it anymore but from 15 pesos I think wash and dry.

I live there but I'm doing a 2-month trip starting jan-30

Killarney said:
My plan is to learn Spanish, meet people and enjoy life basically! If I like it I might stay 6 months....9 months....until I get sick of it...and who knows if I meet an Argentinian lass I may just stay...lol.

If I don't stay then I am thinking of returning to Europe and living in Spain...Valencia perhaps....so hopefully they will understand the "strange" Spanish I learn in Argentina. Sick of the Irish rain.

I have been doing some reading about finding gyms, Spanish schools etc so I will read more before duplicating questions. I'll ask more later if I need to. Most important is learning the language and meeting some interesting people

The best thing you can do is start learning basic SPANISH (on line or with cds) NOW!:)

Even if you can speak some Spanish before you arrive you will still learn a lot more after...especially after being taken for a few rides in taxis.;)

Be careful what you wish for. If you "meet" an Argentine lass you just might flee in terror much sooner than you planned.:eek:

And you may long for the Irish rain to wash away the blood.:p

One piece of advice to give you a financial head start.

Buy all the clothes and electronics you could ever possibly need before coming. Also, if you're a drinker, stock up on booze back at home, duty free will tell you the tax free exemption is 2L for argentina, but that is 100% not enforced.

I have already taken an introductory course here in Spanish but my Spanish is non-existent really. If you don't practice it then it disappears immediately. But I have a minuscule base to begin with. I am hoping that having all things Spanish will drill it into my head faster. I am sure it will.
"Wash away the blood"? Geez now I am not speaking with any Argentinian women! I am not even sure what that means! Are they passionate or ultra jealous or something? Hmmm I am sure I will find out.
A few litres of local stuff in exchange for Guinness from Ireland? Sounds like you're getting the better deal!
Yes I heard electronics are more expensive and so I won't be buying any in Argentina. But clothes? Are they expensive? And is there not a lot of cheap booze in Argentina? Aren't the drinks pretty cheap in the pubs etc? Don't really drink at home!

Yes, buy clothes at home (if they aren´t too expensive in Ireland.) Clothes here are very expensive and the quality is not good. They rip easily and some hardly survive the washing machine. A decent plain T-shirt can run you the equivalent of 50 U.S. or more. Of course you can find cheaper stuff but the quality is deplorable. Shoes too.

Drinks out are not really cheap anymore. We drink at home more often. As a girl, I enjoy drinks that taste good (i.e. the most expensive ones) so unfortunately I only order one drink or so when we go out now. Our friends have gotten better at making drinks though. This is something that probably wouldn´t have happened without the prices being what they are. One friend made some incredible Sangria the other day.

Killarney said:
"Wash away the blood"? Geez now I am not speaking with any Argentinian women! I am not even sure what that means! Are they passionate or ultra jealous or something? Hmmm I am sure I will find out.

Before you arrive and start learning Castellano you can learn about Argentine women in these threads (among others):

Argentine Women Are All...

Argentine women

Why expats doesnt like get in love or get an argie partner?

Dating Argentines...

Why Argentine Women are so Angry!

As a fellow Irishman, and having been here for 2 years, with my Argentine Girlfriend, they aren't THAT bad - far from it... You'll find a pretty vibrant, if small, Irish community here as well, which will help - You do find you need the cultural references at times, just to keep your sanity - When you do come, bring the latest edition of Rugby World to read on the plane (and then pass it around to me! - Please!)... And a bottle of Bulmers would go well...

Back