High school student at Lincoln?

If I'm not mistaken I believe Bush the Lesser (very lesser) is a Methodist. Which coincidentally is what Hillary Clinton is. Methodists accepting infant baptism are generally not considered part of fundamentalism. Though some are certainly evangelical. Evangelical is a broader category than fundamentalist.

"Harold" said:
If I'm not mistaken I believe Bush the Lesser (very lesser) is a Methodist. Which coincidentally is what Hillary Clinton is. Methodists accepting infant baptism are generally not considered part of fundamentalism. Though some are certainly evangelical. Evangelical is a broader category than fundamentalist.
He became Methodist when he turned 35. But this doesn't describe him adequately; he's a "born-again Christian." One reference:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/week421/news.html
Of course, both he and the people around him pander to the religious right to get the electoral support they need to win elections. This is what's frightening. Additionally, Bush seems to suffer from the "dry drunk syndrome":
http://www.counterpunch.org/wormer1011.html
Of course, I'm oversimplifying things a bit. There are other influences at play. The United States was never innocent.

Harold is right. Bush is a Methodist. He apparently chose the Methodist Church as that is his wife's debomination. When he became a "born again" Christian he left the Episcopal (Anglican) Church. I assume this was because it was too Catholic in liturgy and did not embrace biblical literalism. Methodists are generally not as fundamentalist as Southern Baptists. The Methodist is rather diverse, as are many Christinan denominations in the US. Methodists, especially on the East Coast, tend to be modertate to liberal. In Texas many are fundamentalist. I suspect that Bush does not feel a strong tie to the Methodist Church. Like most fundamentalists, he identifies himself as a "Christian" which means evangelical, fundamentalist, "born again" , i.e. salvation comes through Faith in Jesus Christ and in no other way. The trend for American evangelicals is away from the traditional denominations whose hierarchies have generally turned to the doctrinal and social left. Most fundamentalist American Christians join non denominational churches. Billy Graham who was born into a Southern Baptist family and who is still officially a Southern Baptist, seldom speaks of his or any denomintional affiliation. It is the doctrine of justification by faith that matters to him and the supremacy of the Bible. This is where Bush has gone.

As to whether Bush claims to be a fundamentalist, I can't say. It would not surprise me, if he were to be one. But it is certainly a fact that fundamentalist claim him. This is considerably off topic for someone wanting advice on the Lincoln School. If someone would care to continue the discussion of the interconnections between religion and politics on another thread that would suit me fine.

Wow. I just want to say if this is the level of discussion in the expat community in Buenos Aires I am packing for Argentina tonight. What a great discussion. Thanks everyone for the insights, not only on Lincoln but the state of education in general. I suppose, since we will only be spending a year in BA that Lincoln will be best, given the reality of SATs and re-entry to the states in 07. I will tour both Lincoln and a few other schools in June. Thanks again!

Hi Christine,
I also have a fourteen year old daughter, but I am thinking of a bilingual school for her. We are from California.
Malaya

Back