Hola from Aussie

Nounou

Registered
Hi everyone. I'm new here so thought I'd introduce myself, Nounou from Perth WA :).

I have just booked myself a trip to BA Arg, something I have wanted to do for forever, and am looking for any advice on best places to stay, where to go and what level of Spanish is needed for a numpty like to communicate effectively :D. I'll be in BA in March next year and came across this forum quite by accident. Have been impressed by some of the advice given, so any pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Just to add I have travelled a great deal so I'm pretty used to roughing it.

Look forward to hearing from you
Cheers
Nounou :)

Welcome Nounou.

March is quite exciting because school starts. People resume their normal routines after the long summer break. Weather is still hot.

May I enquire if you plan to travel the country or just visit BA? Come to learn spanish or just visit? Age? Type of accomodations you'll be looking for?
Any additional info you provide will surely attract similarly interested members to come forward and share their knowledge or Qs.

There's plenty to read, most essential topics have already been covered.

Thanks so much for the welcome Iznogud, its greatly appreciated.

Sadly my trip will be short, just over 2 week’s, it’s primarily a recce as I plan on spending my long service leave in Argentina. I have already made good use of the site and have found some good links for short term accommodation (BAS) and am looking at the suburbs of Palermo and Belgrano, any views or information on these places would be welcome. Also if time allows, I would like to spend a few days in Trelew and Puerto Madryn, again any advice on how to get there (plane/bus) and if it’s doable is welcome. Finally, it would be great to meet with locals and expats, hence my question about level of Spanish needed.

A bit about me, I’m aged 50 and female, I work in the field of youth development coordinating ‘at risk’ (a politically correct way of saying hard core) youth (14-24) through on-shore and international challenge programmes. I am well travelled having lived and / or worked on 4 continents. I’m originally from Wales, hence the trip to P.M and Trelew. Possess a good sense of humour; well let’s face it when working with hard core youth it’s a must! Love sport and have been known to hike through jungles. Finally, I have been fascinated with Argentina for years since studying its politics at uni, so next years trip means a great deal to me, and if I can meet locals and expats whilst I’m there, well all to the good.

As always, any thoughts are welcome

Palermo and Belgrano hardly qualify as suburbia anymore. This city is huge and tall bulding concentrations are still the rule way far from downtown.
Those areas are both located north, where most of the money is.

Can't help with a trip to the south, never made it that far.

Myself, I'm 52 and local. If you want to practice spanish we can give skype a try. I've wondered about Perth a lot, had a friend there once.

Nounou, When will you be in BA? I am visiting from the States for the month of October. I can tell you that Iznogud is so helpful that I am certain he chose his User Name while having a 'bad hair day.' I will be acquiring my BA chops as I go along, so I may not meet the Expat or Portenos criteria you have set. On the older side of Iznogud, 61, but I seek also to make acquaintances, new friends, Malbec and Tango buddies in BA and around the globe. Oh, an I'll be residing in Palermo from Oct 1-21. Best and have a great visit! David

She said March, David. Counting on your future scouting to provide fresher info to her.

2021? Sure about that?
Kids want their thingy now, not for my grandchildren!!! LOL

It's up to you to make sure I return again! Why not March, 2013.

1st-21st, October. Better? :)

I would never want to disappoint your children or your grandchildren for that matter.

Kids have to wait 17 days for their Xbox Thingy. They can meet David, the American 'Greek' bearer of gifts, at Caseron Porteno on 1, October.

french-soldiers-monty-python.jpg

Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes... LOL

Nice meeting you too David :). So you're visiting next month, you must let me know how you get on, the advance party so to speak :) I'm sure you'll have a ball, and with Inzogud a good guide. I'll take the fact that you will stay in Palermo as a good sign and will investigate further.

Thanks again for the information Inzogud. After a long cold look at a map I have put a trip to Patagonia oh hold, it can wait till next time. I keep forgetting that Australia doesn't have the monopoly on 'big'! lol. Skype would be a great idea, but it will take a bit of synchronisation of watches given the time difference, but I guess it's doable.
Hope you guys have a great weekend :)

Just one more question :D, when do the rugby and football seasons kick off there? Is it March by any chance?

Cheers

"Panem et circenses", bread and circus.
It's always soccer season.
About bread you might have to ask our Beloved Leader. She pays an absurd amount of cash, on our behalf, so we can watch futbol on open air TV.
Soccer being the modern opium of the people, she figured bread was not necessary. No munchies.

Skype can work both early and late in the day. Shall we say 8 to 10?

Back