Homemade Flour Tortillas

John.St said:

So now we're supposed to dry our own corn for grinding our own masa harina, too? Sounds like Mexican food is getting a little labor intensive. Someone said "mexican" was key, but I'll go ahead and say the word "housewife" might be the one to focus on here. Maybe Mexican housewives have the time to do that (and grind the corn by hand in a mortar and pestle) but I don't. So long as the option exists I'll go ahead and buy the pre-made tortillas and not worry about someone calling me "helpless". :rolleyes:

MizzMarr said:
So now we're supposed to dry our own corn for grinding our own masa harina, too? Sounds like Mexican food is getting a little labor intensive. Someone said "mexican" was key, but I'll go ahead and say the word "housewife" might be the one to focus on here. Maybe Mexican housewives have the time to do that (and grind the corn by hand in a mortar and pestle) but I don't. So long as the option exists I'll go ahead and buy the pre-made tortillas and not worry about someone calling me "helpless". :rolleyes:
You can only buy pre-made tortillas where pre-made tortillas are. If not, you'll have to live without or make them yourself.

How will you survive, when one day our civilization goes the way of the Egyptian, Babylonian, , Mesopotamian, Assyrian, Roman, etc., empires? No doubt those people thought: "This will last forever." :rolleyes:

John.St said:
You can only buy pre-made tortillas where pre-made tortillas are. If not, you'll have to live without or make them yourself.

How will you survive, when one day our civilization goes the way of the Egyptian, Babylonian, , Mesopotamian, Assyrian, Roman, etc., empires? No doubt those people thought: "This will last forever." :rolleyes:

Great! And now we have another option for pre-made tortillas! Yeah!
Email them there: [email protected]
Yeah!

Just wondering whether the tortillas are vegetarian-friendly? I know many authentic recipes use lard :eek:

John.St said:

Hopefully by then I'll either have "housewife" status or be "gatherer" status and have plenty of time to make my own masa and perfect delicious tortillas ;)

our tortillas are NOT vegetarian friendly. we could use oil as a substitute, but that might take some of the magic out of them...

mini said:
Great! And now we have another option for pre-made tortillas! Yeah!
Email them there: [email protected]
Yeah!
Can I have your estimate of their condition when they - some sunny day in the future - arrive in Mendoza? :D

John.St said:
Can I have your estimate of their condition when they - some sunny day in the future - arrive in Mendoza? :D

Nope. You'll just have to do like the "mexican househusbands" do. I can teach you to make bread, paper & glass beads to add to your skill set. :)

mini said:
Nope. You'll just have to do like the "mexican househusbands" do. I can teach you to make bread, paper & glass beads to add to your skill set. :)
Glass beads? What is glass? Something you can eat? We make our beads out of good, lasting algarrobo-wood. :cool:

Back