Homemade Pasta...

D.B. Cooper

Registered
Does anybody make homemade pasta ???
Here's an NYTimes video that makes it look easy.
My question is, is there that much difference from the stuff that comes out of a box ?

http://www.nytimes.com/video/dining/100000003672204/homemade-pasta.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=timesvideo-heading&module=watch-in-times-video&region=video-player-region&WT.nav=video-player-region

SOOOOO different. I have made it and my boyfriend goes crazy making it with his Pasta Linda. It's time consuming but way better and you can customize it in all sorts of ways (spinach? beets? cheese? other herbs/flavorings?) And can make it with different kinds of flours, etc.

I make my own too. I don't use a machine. I use a rolling pin and cut it myself. It is time consuming, but I barely use dried pasta anymore because homemade is so much better.

I make pasta, generally ravioli and other stuffed pastas. If im just making spaghetti it's a lot of extra time and mess to clean up vs a box of de cecco. In my opinion there is not a huge payoff in flavor if you're just doing flour and water pasta. Egg pasta is where the difference really comes through.

I use the kitchen aid pasta rolling attachments and have absolutely zero complaints. Excellent, mine have over 10 years of use and still going strong.

My wifes mom makes great "Ñoquis" and also Sorrentinos and Panzotes

The Italian food here in Argentina.....the quality is to die for.....even the store bought stuff is good, way better than back home! Nothing like "Fideos Don Vicente" they are great!! Alot of little ma and pa pasta shops here are great....some folks here even sell the stuff out of their homes homemade if you know the right people....

I brought my argentine wife to the states and we made spaghetti with "Ragu" sauce and she just about vomited....she said it was the most discgusting tomato sauce she had ever eaten LOL

The Italian food here in Argentina.....the quality is to die for.....even the store bought stuff is good, way better than back home!

Where are you from? Paraguay?!

"Italian" food here is pure garbage, to be thrown directly in the inodoro. They should be ashamed to put Italian names to these inventions of theirs and calling them "Italian". Deceptive is the adjective!

"Italian" food here is pure garbage, to be thrown directly in the inodoro. They should be ashamed to put Italian names to these inventions of theirs and calling them "Italian". Deceptive is the adjective!

Well compared to the pasta and Italian food in the US I'd say its 100x better... Have you actually "had" any of the homemade pasta here?

Not sure why you're picking on Paraguayans! I wouldn't call Asuncion, for example, the heart of Italian cooking, but the few times I've had pasta there it's been halfway decent and better than most gooey-cheesey or poorly-mixed sauces I've had here :) And my Paraguayan family doesn't like pasta from here either...

I couldn't think of any country with a worse cooking culture than Argentina, so I figured that any country closed to Argentina could do worse in term of "Italian" cuisine.

To be honest, I came to miss mac & cheese. This is how serious it is.

Back