Votes: 1 3.4%
  • African

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oceanian

• other

• Total voters
Just to balance out some of the modern style buildings i keep seeing in this thread...here! :

001372acd5e9100b52070c.jpg

We are not ignorant about "other construction methods" as you imply, rather we have many different construction forms depending on where you make your home one or another form is more prevalent. Brick is the preferred building method in hotter temperatures because simply it keeps you cooler and lasts longer than wood. In addition, traditionally, people want to leave an inheritance to their children because families don't move around as much here and therefore it make sense to build for "endurance". Of course you may build any which way you desire but the resale value of a cheaply made wood frame house is practically nil. Here the philosphy is the value of the house, not the value of the real estate as it is in the Anglophone countries. Thank you.

Very nice!!!! although looks like a mega bitch of a driveway to drive down and realize you forgot to lock the door of your castle no? :p

We are not ignorant about "other construction methods" as you imply, rather we have many different construction forms depending on where you make your home one or another form is more prevalent. Brick is the preferred building method in hotter temperatures because simply it keeps you cooler and lasts longer than wood. In addition, traditionally, people want to leave an inheritance to their children because families don't move around as much here and therefore it make sense to build for "endurance". Of course you may build any which way you desire but the resale value of a cheaply made wood frame house is practically nil. Here the philosphy is the value of the house, not the value of the real estate as it is in the Anglophone countries. Thank you.

I made no implication at all. I said plainly that some of the attitudes [regarding building methods/materials] were ignorant. If someone is going to make a statement without any proof to support their statement, then that is ignorance of facts... its opinion based on questionable experience.

I'm not new here. I've been here more than 10 years now and own my second home. In my opinion; having lived here and in Canada (and it does get hot in the summer), I don't find that brick regulates the temperature at all. If fact, it feels hotter inside than it does outside even with the doors and windows open. This is why I believe that insulation is necessary even in hot climates. Insulation is a thermal barrier for heat and cold.

Lasts longer than wood? Are you sure about that? Maybe with the low grade pine that is available here I can understand that. I guess there are some cheaply made brick construction too because I've been witness to several brick building toppling over in the last few years to doubt the longevity of these buildings. I've seen homes for sale with gaping holes in the walls and the owners still want a price that does not reflect the actual value of the building. I do notice that bricks are cheaper though; I think perhaps that something else is coloring the material choices (that is a implication).

The point is that I have a house right now that is made of this type of construction. I'm not satisfied. In fact, I've come to the conclusion that I cannot trust in the construction practices here (as is); hence I am going to take an active role in securing that I get what I want, the way I want it. There is no way that I am going to spend a major amount of money and NOT get what I want just because it's not part of the local status-quo. Perhaps it will be difficult to sell if I ever choose to. My home should not cause me stress because it doesn't meet my needs.

Insulation saves you money both on winter heating and summer air conditioning. Same with proper window frames (with actual seals not a couple centimetres gap) and double / triple glazing.

On the subject of cooling costs, I'm perplexed by what appears to the ubiquitousness of "split" air conditioner systems in Argentina. I understand their appeal when retrofitting an existing home, but I also see them installed in almost all new builds as well, even very premium homes. Why is central air conditioning so rare, when it's clearly more efficient and economical in the long run (not to mention the aesthetic considerations raised earlier)?

I'm not new here. I've been here more than 10 years now and own my second home. In my opinion; having lived here and in Canada (and it does get hot in the summer), I don't find that brick regulates the temperature at all. If fact, it feels hotter inside than it does outside even with the doors and windows open. This is why I believe that insulation is necessary even in hot climates. Insulation is a thermal barrier for heat and cold.

I've found the oposite having been here. Masonry construction has a large thermal mass that resists temperature fluctuations and tends to average out daytime and nighttime temperatures. The construction entremedianeras - at least here in capital - limits the amount of heat absorbed from the sun to one wall and a roof. Even on hot days the walls of the turn of the century PH I lived in when I first came to BA would be cool to the touch. This was a lot less pronounced in the house I lived in up until june which was constructed with hollow brick rather than common solid ones.

My new house has central air and the duct work extends down to the garage and dependencias in the subsuelo with both supply and return vents. Since we're still technically in winter I haven't a chance to test the effects of this in the summer but I'm suspecting that the basement and garage may be able to function as a sort of heat sink for the entire house. Basements are usually cool in the sumer (due to the thermal mass of the earth) and if the temperature of the walls is lower than what I set the thermostat at this should take a load off of the AC. I'll update in december.

Here's a perfect example to the strange backward ideas that the locals cling to.

When I to be building my own living quarter there in the Grand Argentina, must to be building a house with renewable energy and the Solar panelled house comes to mind. For instance a house seen below would work for me!

I imagine that in 2099 you will be very ashamed of your rocket booster - less house

domru_rocket_house.jpg

I imagine that in 2099 you will be very ashamed of your rocket booster - less house

domru_rocket_house.jpg

Wish can live to see much advanced technology! But in mean time, this is needed to keep the house warm~cool. This material available in Argentina?
art_525c3c6c3a39d.jpeg
300x230_insulation3.jpg

Back