Homeschooling in Buenos Aires

Risu

Registered
Might anyone know of any expats that are here with children and are homeschooling? Thanks!

Unfortunately, homeschooling is probably illegal in Argentina.

I do not plan on having kids, but if I did, I would certainly take the home schooling option (and I am an Atheist) in the USA and even more so in Argentina.

Schools, specially public ones, were never design to teach. They were design to turn children into compliant dim-wits that the state can manipulate.

That is why in most places, it is illegal not to send your kids to the intellectual slaughter house known as "The School".

Camberiu,
Thanks so much for sharing your views on education and also the following post with the information on the law regarding schooling here in Argentina.. No, I am not the author of the homeschoolargentina blog. Did appreciate you sharing it...very helpful. Thanks!

I homeschool my 15 year old and my 11 year old goes to private spanish only school.

BednBreakfast said:
I'm homeschooling, my eldest is about to turn 4...how old are your children Risu?

Maybe I'm just ignorant to the whole homeschooling thing, but isn't a 4 year old just in preschool? Singing songs, coloring, playing...does that really count as homeschooling?

School is only needed from 5 years old in Argentina. Pre-school is optional.

Thanks so much for these posts about home school. So interesting. I've had people ask me about the law here and now I have something to tell them. I think it's well known now that home schooling is really effective but I home schooled mine from third and seventh grade in the states. Both learned to love to learn (which is the most important thing I think you can teach a kid) and both did excellent in college (honors). So good for you guys!!!!!!

Homeschooling is absolutely legal in Argentina. In fact my brothers and I were homeschooled 10 years ago.
As far as I know there are two systems available
a. SEAD. http://www.me.gov.ar/curriform/sead.html
IT'S coordinated by the MInistry of education. it used to cover from 1st grade in primary school to 9th grade but I just checked and they have secondary school courses as well
b.seade http://www.iese.edu.ar/seade/
it's coordinated but the army education system. it covers all school years and it's the oldest distance education program in Argentina. it's really really good. it kinda works like a private school and it's completely authorized by the education ministry

10 years ago my brothers did the sead program (cause it was free) and I did the seade cause i was already in high school. SEADE (the army one) was a lot better coordinated and the teachers were a lot better.
Both systems are designed for diplomat's children who need to be on the argeninean school system even if they live abroad. you are supposed to follow a book and you have tutors/teachers for every class that you can contact via email/skype and at the end of the semester/year you take an exam for each class. If you are overseas you are supposed to take them at the local embassy but if you are in buenos aires you can go to there offices and take them there.

even though seade was originally designed for kids leaving abroad there's no problem if they live in argentina. In fact i have a friend who got pregnant when she was 16 and since she couldnt go to classes everyday she studied at SEADE, graduated in time and was later admited at a really good school in Europe.
hope it helps

Back