Homesick? Montevideo - Miami 477Usd Final

Well, customs is looking for cocaína instead of laptops...
Drugs do not come from Miami to Argentina. It is the opposite. Argentina has become a major transfer/transit point.

Drugs do not come from Miami to Argentina. It is the opposite. Argentina has become a major transfer/transit point.

this....

Its like the cliché that Latin America produces drugs and the US only buy it. Like in the US (the destination of 60% of world drugs) you dont have narcos, or big fishes, or drug problems in general.
There is much more drugs in the US than in every Latin American country, its just that the DEA regulates that as they want, they allow zillion tons of drugs to enter anually, much more than anywhere in the world.

But of course, you have the stereotypes that say that the narco problems are in Latin America, that you have the narco guys only in Latin America, that nobody has any problem with drugs in the US,

The main problem is if the flight stops in Colombia. Then there are 3 police checks. Local police, narcotic police and after that the DEA. Then they open all the suitcases and interrogate all the passengers. They really use the 3 hours in advance you should be at the airport. So, no thanks.

That makes sense. I also flew via Colombia and didn't have any issues, but I never saw a comparable amount of police and drug dogs at any other airport. Also, they checked a lot of people, but it seemed that they focus on people that looked like South Americans, while people that look like tourists weren't bothered.
On a side note, my worst experiences with security checks were always in the US, entering from Europe. And given how the interrogation went, I doubt that they produce any more safety with it.

Reactions: Joe
The main problem is if the flight stops in Colombia. Then there are 3 police checks. Local police, narcotic police and after that the DEA. Then they open all the suitcases and interrogate all the passengers. They really use the 3 hours in advance you should be at the airport. So, no thanks.

That happened to you just because the plane had a stop in Colombia? What airport were you in when that happened? Did they tell you that was routine? I've flown to and from Colombia from Argentina (several times), the U.S. (several times) and Europe (twice), usually with with Avianca, often connecting within Colombia, and have never had anything close to that happen to me. Only normal security procedures (that is, much less security than it takes to fly from Houston to Dallas). Just once, at the airport in Barranquilla, they took me to a separate room, scanned my bags again and patted me down. It took about five minutes and frankly, considering I was a young female who said I had just visited my boyfriend and was traveling alone with a zillion stamps in my passport, I fit the mule profile to a T. But that had nothing to do with the airline.

More info, please? I can't help but think your experience was not the norm.

Arghhh I wrote a post about my many flights to and from Colombia but it is awaiting approval. :angry: I'll come back later to see if it's been approved. ETA: Okay, it's the one above this one.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Gringoboy Articles 31
R Expat Life 6
citygirl Expat Life 51
Vagrant Violet Expat Life 12
H Expat Life 28
Back