Hong Kong Style- Real Gourmet Chinese

I am thinking of checking it out this Sunday for lunch. What is the price range at this place?

I've eaten there in the past. It was alright. But it didn't knock my socks off.

Although if we're talking about chinese restaurants, I should take the opportunity to once again mention my personal favorite, Casa China. Best chinese food that I'VE tried, I'd love to compare it to Hong Kong style.

Would anybody whose been to both mind making a comparison?

PhilipDT said:
Who the heck cares about the Ambiente? Some of the best chinese food I've had around the world came from places that would rate an ambiente score much much lower than that.

Good for you but you have people that care about ambiente, why do you think it's on there?

I ate at Hong Kong Style last Sunday when I visited the neighborhood to check out the Chinese festival taking place. I have lived in NYC and San Fran for over 35 years, have had lots of exposure to Chinese cuisine, and prefer the spicer preparations, e.g, Schezuan, Hunam, Peking over the relatively unspicy Hong Kong and Canton styles.

After conferring with the young (Univ student), English speaking waiter I chose a pork mushroom potsticker-like dim sum (4 for 26 pesos), and then the scallops and prawns with cashews (110 pesos - one of the pricier dishes). I had a small bottle of a low priced sauvignon blanc. With tip the tab came to 180 pesos.

I was disappointed. The dim sum were unremarkable. Though I didn't expect the main dish to be very spicy, I didn't expect a dish totally lacking in flavor, no doubt because the sauce was bland. The delicate shell fish takes on the flavor of the sauce more than other kinds of flesh and since the sauce had no taste the dish was a failure.

I would give the food a rating of 12 out of 30 and the ambiance 19 (better than indicated above). The waiter will no doubt make an excellent software engineer some day soon, but was generally unhelpful. The food took a long time to get out of the kitchen especially in light of the small number of other patrons dining while I was there. I give the service 14.

I would love to know of other good chinese restaurants in the city. Guiaoleo indicates Casa China is closed.

i think that the best oriental cheff in ba is apu. He opened his own resto where it used to be palitos.
I suggest the eggs with tomato, the general tao mero and the imperial chicken with extra spicy sauce.
Regards

Back