Hooked on Mate

Gringoboy

Registered
I don't know what it is about this stuff, but hell does this stuff give me a buzz!
I love it!
Used to drink about ten coffees a day at work, now down to the odd one.
My afternoons wouldn't be the same any more without mate.
When I get back from work, sans alcohol and we dine at home, my wife and her son think I'm on something strange.....:)

Jesuits forbade mate to Guaraní indians for causing lazyness. Just be careful.

Looooove mate! Can't live without it actually. It travels with me to the US when I go there for work.

I used to be a multiple coffee a day person but now I just have my chai tea in the morning and mate the rest of the day. Gives me lots of energy but doesn't make me caffeine-crazy. I think it makes me sharper and definitely more focused. Added bonus for anyone watching their weights is that it is an appetite supressant as well.

Mate is much healthier than coffee and has many benefits . They say it is good for sex as well .

Hola Perry, you bring up a very interesting point about mate....Sex.
I wonder if any expats have found that their sex lives have improved since moving to down to Argentina & drinking the green stuff.

I gave up coffee & only drink mate! It's the best drink.
perry said:
Mate is much healthier than coffee and has many benefits . They say it is good for sex as well .

And its so damned social too...drinking mate in a group at the park, by the river etc gives me that picnic feeling I never got growing up in Ireland when the only picnic my mum tried ended with us eating egg sandwiches inside the car...Mate is a lovely tradition!

I particularly hate mate in the traditional drinking form, is so so..insalubrious..but on the other hand I love drinking it in a cup alone by itself hot or cut with a dash of milk (names for this, Mate Cocido and Mate Cocido con Leche), not the ones prepackaged in the little TEA type string bags these haven't got enough flavor.
As for an aphrodisiac, this stuff sure is good for growing bald folks hair.

Yerba Mate: Health Benefits

a good detoxifier
produces deeper sleep
boosts the immune system
relieves allergies
increases energy
possibly reduces the risk of diabetes and hypoglycemia
relaxes muscles
burns more calories
increases mental focus
improves mood
possibly increases the supply of nutrients and oxygen to the heart during exercise
decreases hunger cravings
possible prevention of some cancers
possible reduction of heart attack and stroke
beneficial to the digestive tract

Okay - I'm sold - my Silvia got me to try it once when I was down in BA in July - I turned my nose up at it - but as soon as I get back I'm going to learn to love it and drink a heap of it :) lol

Johnno said:
Okay - I'm sold - my Silvia got me to try it once when I was down in BA in July - I turned my nose up at it - but as soon as I get back I'm going to learn to love it and drink a heap of it :) lol

Try first Mate Cocido variety, add sugar to your taste and some milk, or same thing but without milk.

Preparation:

Ideal put some water in a container (a small casserole will do) let it boil and then spoon in some yerba mate (stronger or lighter taste depends in your preferences) let it infuse for a couple seconds, retrieve from heat source and left rest for another couple seconds to let the yerba drop to the bottom of the container or just add a dash of cold water for same result.

Pour this infusion trough a small tea strainer or similar in a cup add sugar to taste and a bit of milk if you prefer and...done, drink hot with facturas or toast bread smeared with unsalted butter first and then dulce de leche on top.
Enjoy a truly argentine poor man's breakfast.

Back