Horse Asado

mrporoto

Registered
As we have a big scandal in europe about substituting cheaper horse meat in prepared food in supermarkets why not go the full hog!! and just eat fresh horse meat.The transport costs could be reduced,just ride the lead horse with a few tethered up,this would be a green meat policy,not the color of the meat!!On the plus side horses don't fart as much as cows thus reducing greenhouse gases,if you believe that crap.Would help keep inflation down so a bono for cristina.

What about Silly Mare Parilla,Bronco Billies,Palomino Parilla.

My wife was telling me that mortadella can contain horse meat here. I looked it up at the time and thought I confirmed it, now I don't see anything about it. Either way, no big deal to me.

Update- further reading now - that's kind of an urban legend here, though maybe it was done in the past.

Now I see my confusion. We're on a list in wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Horse_meat

But at the tale end it explains:
"Argentina is a producer and exporter of horse meat, but it is not used in local consumption and is considered taboo"

It's not legal to sell horse meat here AFAIK.

Argentina however is a huge exporter of horse meat - I believe #1 in the world. Ethical questions aside, trust me when I say you DON'T want to eat horsemeat from here - do you have any idea what kind of drugs we give horses? And do you really think the slaughter houses are scrupulous in making sure the horses (and subsequently the meat) are free of any drugs in their system? Nooooooooo thank you.

Agreed Citygirl, however I'm sure I've eaten horse in France many times in the past.
Either that or it was we Brits stirring it up for the French yet again ;)

I was reading about the horse meat industry in Argentina sometime ago and that article said that there are companies who go all around the country buying old horses to farmers/gauchos for meet.

I understand that the drugs you are talking about is for racing horses, am I wrong?

I lived in Chile when I was about 6 and I remember that I used to eat horse cecina (alike fiambre) and it was very good.

The scandal is Europe, I think, its more a prejudice about eating horse.

When I was in Korea I wanted to try dog but, if I mention this here, many people might be offended because they love dogs. Its the same.

Horses are given all types of drugs and all types of horses receive them. From the dewormers to bute which is basically aspirin to drugs that relax them to those that improve performance to medications for all types of illnesses or injuries, the list goes on and on.

A delicacy in France...!!

Better than beef, high in Iron..!!

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Horse_meat

BOUCHERIE%20CHEVALINE.jpg

My favorite even if its horsey

2012-05-01-IMG_8642.jpg

I'm with CityGirl. Personally, I don't have a "moral" aversion to eating horse meat. Meat is meat. Its the drugs that I'd be afraid of.

If I were in that airplane crash in the Andes and starving you bet your ass I'd be eating ... (hint - NOT horsemeat).

:)

Agreed, in Britain we are very squeamish about lots of different meats and yes, there is a prejudice due to the fact its horse meat.
But in this case, its the drugs given to the horses that end up in the food chain as Citygirl says.
Mad cow is a bad example, but there are similarities if we stretch the point.

Back