Horse Asado

NlhwUgS.jpg

Agreed, in Britain we are very squeamish about lots of different meats and yes, there is a prejudice due to the fact its horse meat.
But in this case, its the drugs given to the horses that end up in the food chain as Citygirl says.
Mad cow is a bad example, but there are similarities if we stretch the point.

Also I find the media play a large part in hyping this up. I'm really not that bothered about it.

Now, the fraud about the fish being sold in the US (33% are mislabelled... Goes up to 89% for snapper & 59% for tuna).

http://oceana.org/sites/default/files/reports/National_Seafood_Fraud_Testing_Results_FINAL.pdf

Now, the fraud about the fish being sold in the US (33% are mislabelled... Goes up to 89% for snapper & 59% for tuna).

http://oceana.org/si...sults_FINAL.pdf

Seafood marketing is absolutely ridiculous, they sell fish under so many different names it's unbelievable. And this is all over the world, in Chile fish that they eat there are completely different than the same named fish here (congrio here is completely different from congrio in Chile, same I believe for mero)

As someone from British Columbia, where we have access to the finest salmon in the world, and a whole slew of species (sockeye, chinook, spring (pink), coho, (farmed) atlantic and steelhead, oh and artic char is a delicious substitute for salmon) I sometimes have a hard time believing that the salmon I buy here qualifies as salmon. So flavourless -- is it all farmed? But even farmed salmon at home has more flavour than a lot of the salmon I've had here!

Actually mentioning MERO -- some translate as halibut, but the mero I've seen in the pescaderia is either the tiniest halibut I've seen in my life, or just a completely different flat-fish altogether -- anyone have any idea? I'd love some good halibut.

Now there's donkey meat in beef burgers in South Africa
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21588575

And more horse meat in France
http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/world/story/frances-panzani-withdraws-ravioli-after-detecting-horsemeat-20130227

It's not legal to sell horse meat here AFAIK.

Argentina however is a huge exporter of horse meat - I believe #1 in the world. Ethical questions aside, trust me when I say you DON'T want to eat horsemeat from here - do you have any idea what kind of drugs we give horses? And do you really think the slaughter houses are scrupulous in making sure the horses (and subsequently the meat) are free of any drugs in their system? Nooooooooo thank you.

So what happens to all the Wild Horses that gets slaughtered or decimated by the tens or hudread of thousands in the US territory every year.? The wild horese I mean. I have seen them,they are magnificent horses.The wild Mustangs of America.!
Why not make a good use of these poor animals that served and still serve the humanity all over the entire hemisphere well, but as in the USA, they get massacred by the hordes!. I think, it serves well to export to those nations that consumes them as part of their diets.Those wild horses are clean of Men induced drugs of any kind. They are healthy and very clean so not harmful for digesting the Horse meats by Humans.

I think it was all a conspiracy by cows ;)

Well, for me, the scandal was/is that the (horse) meat travelled through I don't know how many countries before ending in a Lasagne. And wrong labelled in one of the about 10 stages only to save a little bit of money.

I better don't want to know how many different meats not labelled on the ingredients list is inside a sausage (for me, it doesn't matter that much, but for some people, that are not "allowed" to eat, for example, porc meat... well, on the other hand, they have the chance to try something new without doing a "sin"). A nice YB-Wurscht that spray fat when you bite in it was never wrong... but one day, I will stop eating meat, I'm sure. Maybe after my time in Argentina... the portions are just to big here!

Back