Housekeeper pay

For July 2024, the minimum hourly rate for housekeepers is $2322. This is adjusted about every two months or so - it was 7% last month.

Many families are letting their housekeepers go, or cutting back their work days.

Some of the posted salaries are embarrassing. Some try to pay as little as possible....I try to pay as much as I can.
I wholeheartedly agree! Our housekeeper has been coming once a week for years; she's reliable, honest, and just a lovely person in general, though she is older. She does what I genuinely don't have time to do, which makes our homelife easier. We pay her about $7200/hr for the 4 hours she comes, and she's totally worth it! I'd feel bad paying her anything less.

We’re paying 6k/hour plus transportation here. 4 hrs/day, 5 days/week, with quarterly adjustments for inflation.

Some of the posted salaries are embarrassing. Some try to pay as little as possible....I try to pay as much as I can.
We asked our cleaning lady how much she charged, and we pay that. If she had said 5000 or 6000 we would probably pay that too. YMMV, but I wouldn't go offering high hourly rates because a. you look like a soft touch and b. Argentinian families won't be able to compete with the benchmark you're setting.

I'm still working on the insurance question, the Allianz WhatsApp wasn't very forthcoming last week.

We asked our cleaning lady how much she charged, and we pay that. If she had said 5000 or 6000 we would probably pay that too. YMMV, but I wouldn't go offering high hourly rates because a. you look like a soft touch and b. Argentinian families won't be able to compete with the benchmark you're setting.

I'm still working on the insurance question, the Allianz WhatsApp wasn't very forthcoming last week
ummm....i am going to ask for a refund. I don't want my domestic care expenses to further damage this fragile economy. And yes most Argentine families have a housekeeper....so I have heard....so i could be upsetting the local families. And as far as being a soft touch....I have to give at least one person a day at least 1000 pesos. I should stop that because the people on the street will get too fat if I do that.

Last edited:
The market sets the rate. It's not embarrassing to pay the market rate. Personally I'm tired of seeing this stereotype that every American is a rich greedy capitalist with money to burn. There are plenty of yankees of humble means here too. If you want to pay above market rate as a form of charity, that's your prerogative. But if you think the cure to the problems down here is paying more than I invite you to read about the time Mansa Musa visited Cairo...

The market sets the rate. It's not embarrassing to pay the market rate. Personally I'm tired of seeing this stereotype that every American is a rich greedy capitalist with money to burn. There are plenty of yankees of humble means here too. If you want to pay above market rate as a form of charity, that's your prerogative. But if you think the cure to the problems down here is paying more than I invite you to read about the time Mansa Musa visited Cairo...

thinking about your comment....you are right.....I am sure 'these people' are lazy because we gringos are overpaying them. not. well, I tried for 3 years on this site to find work for the woman who works for me with little or no success. Could it be that there ARE NO jobs for many....????

thinking about your comment....you are right.....I am sure 'these people' are lazy because we gringos are overpaying them. not. well, I tried for 3 years on this site to find work for the woman who works for me with little or no success. Could it be that there ARE NO jobs for many....????
I don't recall calling anyone lazy. The market rate is set based on supply/demand and the relative cost of other goods. You are correct about your friend, sadly demand is suffering in the face of recessionary headwinds and this depresses wages. Many housekeepers may leave the sector in search of better paid work. The subsequent lack of future housekeepers will likely increase future wages. It's a natural process that affects every labor sector, mine included. I applaud your generosity, plenty here deserve a helping hand.

Back