How did you end up being an expat in Buenos Aires?

How did you end up being an expat in Buenos Aires?

• Work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Came to visit and decided to stay

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Wanted to travel and try expat life

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • Studying

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Wanted to work on Spanish skills

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Fell in love with an Argentine

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Other - elaborate in the comments!

Votes: 22 37.3%

• Total voters
All of the above really! Came on vacation and decided I loved it and I wanted to stay. Came back for what I thought was a year to ride horses and learn Spanish. Left after that and then moved back for work. And then fell in love.

citygirl said:
All of the above really! Came on vacation and decided I loved it and I wanted to stay. Came back for what I thought was a year to ride horses and learn Spanish. Left after that and then moved back for work. And then fell in love.

Show off...all you need now is to have studied something and you win over achiever on this survey!:)

Studied for seven years at U.B.A. Fell in love with numerous Argentine women, questioning my sanity with each one. Had to leave to restore my sanity in Miami, and just met a great Argentine woman here.
Lithium here I come.

Fell in love with a beautiful, passionate Argentine tigress many years ago..................it's a long story.
(lies down in darkened room to recuperate)

I would have picked almost all of them if I could! I wanted to live outside the United States to see the world from a new perspective, I wanted to become fluent in Spanish, I came with a moderate-length stay in mind and I stayed much longer after finding work and falling in love with an Argentine. After two years, I have accomplished or ended most of these things, and I guess it makes sense that my time here is coming to a close.

Citygirl:

Hi. I read the post where you mentioned that you came here to ride. I am a very avid rider in the states (jumpers) and was wondering what kind of riding you do and if you do jumpers, where you do it? I am looking at stables in Palermo, but would love to hear your recommendations.

Thanks!

Lindsay

Hey ! I will send you a PM with my info. I do (did) jumpers as well and hunters and eq. I ride at home (I live about 30 minutes outside of Cap Fed) - there are about 25 young jumpers here. I'm not showing at the moment but the significant other is a prof rider so we're at the shows every week.

Lived in Houston, TX my whole life, and wanted to try living somewhere else since I've always traveled every chance I could. I'd done a short study abroad program in BA and loved it, so when I graduated college in May 2009 with zero jobs to be found, I decided to come here to do the teaching English thing. Then I found a "real" job (still en negro, but oh well) and stuck around. Met my Colombian boyfriend (he's in his fourth year here) shortly after that and we're very excited to plan our next move.

Back