How do I deal with a crazy landlord?

I noted you have to give back the keys in 3 days so forget my advices about anticipating.

I would contact them a.s.a.p. and tell them that since it seems you won't agree on the terms, you prefer to have an escribano publico come during the keys remittance and that they have to bring 750 pesos with them in order to pay half of the escribano's fees (that's total bluff of course). Find an escribano's name and tell them you already have contacted this escribano (bluff again).
If they are muertos de hambre, they will likely be more concilient.

If you wish send me a photo or a scan of the contract for me to look at it

pericles said:
Defensa Del Consumidor are very good though and they certainly will investigate . Also report her to Afip if she refuses to give your money back as it is undeclared income.

Best of luck.

Indeed, threatening of reporting to AFIP (local IRS if you are from the States) is another good option.

That gives you many arguments to bring :
- Bring in an escribano
- AFIP
- AFIP again if you live in the Provincia for the payment of the sellado tax (but they apply only on 2 years rental if I recall).
- Defensa del consumidor

Now let's not forget that if you are in your 20s it's always tricky to act/say the best things facing elders, furthermore when it's not your country.
I deeply suggest you get assisted by two or three Argentineans (or not) in their 40/50s.
Strategy would here be (in case the deposit is supposed to be given back within two months) to receive the deposit right away when you give back the keys. You can reach this goal but you have to revert the situation.

A cop has nothing to do there, these matters are not solved this way, if they happen to do that just tell them you are calling 911.

You can report them here ( and tell them you are doing it, just so they will never be able to rent this property to tourists )

Tourism Assistance Program

Foreign Tourists from any part of the world can go to our offices in order to solve problems as consumers
When a company doesn't fulfil the terms of a commercial transaction, for example when a bought product lacks of normal conditions for its use because of a failure, or a service is not provided according to the contract, the purchaser can file a complaint before the "Dirección General de Defensa y Protección al Consumidor del Gobierno de la Ciudad" (Bureau of Consumer Protection of the Government of the City of Buenos Aires).
The complaint must be filed personally by the holder of the transaction in “Centros de Gestión comunales” (CGPC – Community Management Centres).
Legal requirements to file a complaint:
Having acquired a product or service within the City of Buenos Aires.
The complaint must be a final consumer.
Required Documentation to file the complaint.

1. A note telling the facts.
  2. A recipe of the transaction: recipe, ticket, contract (original).
  3. Passport or document of MERCOSUR
The complainant must submit original documents (1 - 2 - 3) together with a set of photocopies for the Consumer Protection Bureau and one set for each company involved. Originals must be kept by the consumer.
Having the complaint filed, the consumer together with the Authority of Application (the Consumer Protection Bureau) shall choose the date and hour for the conciliation audience in which both parties are met in order to reach an agreement. If you stay in the city for a short period, you may empower a person to follow the process of the complaint. In cases the authority considers appropriate, he may request the company to end its conduct in an immediate way. Besides, telephonic mediations can be made in order to solve problems in a shorter period. In both cases, required documentation is essential.
If both parties of the complaint reach an agreement, a joint instrument with specific details must be signed by them. Both parties are bound to fulfil such agreement.
In case of not reaching an agreement, the instance of conciliation ends and the file is sent to the “Dirección Judicial” (Legal Department) in order to decide if there has been an infringement. In this instance, consumere is not considered as a party of the complaint, and the Authority of Application acts as a governmental bureau.
The company in question may be imposed to pay a fine. The minimum amount fixed for an infringement is $ 500 (five hundred pesos), and the maximum amount is $500.000. (five hundred thousands pesos)
On the other hand, the Consumer Protection Bureau has celebrated an agreement together with the Faculty of Law Studies at UBA (Universidad Nacional de Buenos Aires - National University of Buenos Aires) for free legal advice. Number are delivered from 9 AM. Advice’s hours are from 10 am to 2 pm on Mondays and Thursdays at Esmeralda 340 - Ground Floor.
Important note
All complaints about privatized public services must be submitted in first instance before the company involved through a written letter. If the company does not agree with the claim, the user shall submit his complaint before the control body over the privatized service in question.

http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/areas/produccion/def_consumidor/turista.php?menu_id=1035

If none of this works I would sell out all the stuff that has some value and is in there! ( this is a last resort id you really need that money back )

Threaten to report them to AFIP (Argentine IRS). Scares the hell out of them. They have a hot line. Evading taxes is a national pass time, everyone is guilty. Shuts them up quickly.

dennisr said:
Threaten to report them to AFIP (Argentine IRS). Scares the hell out of them. They have a hot line. Evading taxes is a national pass time, everyone is guilty. Shuts them up quickly.

Well, since they have less than 72 hours ;) , here is the AFIP tax evasion report number : 0800-999-2347
Source : http://www.afip.gov.ar/contacto/

And remember, the right threat makes the right sweat (it's from me, but I have not published yet) :D

I'd "accidentally" pack over $500 dollars worth of their belongings into your luggage then leave a day early.

Its an easy mistake to make, you're packing your suitcase and along with your books and socks you accidentally pack the DVD player, cutlery, and all the copper piping....

Also, Don't be afraid to publish the names of the owners and address of the apartment. Word gets around fast. They are testing you because you are too nice. This is normal in Argentina. You actually have the upper hand if you take it.

Definitely, threaten to report them to the AFIP. Argentines are terrified of it. They are probably not reporting a single penny of those rentals, and the back fines could break them.

Be prepared not to get your deposit back.

That's all I have to say on this matter. I got screwed in the States after living in a place for 1 month less than 5 years. You're definitely going to get screwed here.

Back