How do I deal with a crazy landlord?

Alot of wishful thinking going on in this thread.

I wouldn't steal anything if I were you. If there is an issue with an excessive utility bill , ask to see documentation and take it from there. Threats will only get you threats in return.

I'm actually quite shocked people are advocating stealing $ 500 dollars worth of private property without knowing the whole story. That is a great way to get the police involved and not in your favor. Not a good thing if you plan on returning to Argentina. Asking that the transaction be reported to the AFIP isn't a bad suggestion. Even though it really won't do you any good come check out time.

There is usually a clause in the contract that states if you and the owner have a legal dispute, it would have to be taken care of in the Tribunals of Buenos Aires. That is the legal way of doing things. Not threats and theft.

AlexfromLA said:
Alot of wishful thinking going on in this thread.

There is usually a clause in the contract that states if you and the owner have a legal dispute, it would have to be taken care of in the Tribunals of Buenos Aires. That is the legal way of doing things. Not threats and theft.
It is wishful thinking to believe Tribunals of Buenos Aires would or could resolve a dispute within one's lifetime in Argentina. The rule of law (contracts) mean nothing to these predatory landlords. The only thing they do understand is AFIP. It may not get your refund, but you will get your pound of flesh.

I don't choose which laws to obey depending on what country I am in. If a contract states the dispute should be handled in the Tribunals, that is where it should be handled. I am not against reporting an owner to the AFIP but that has nothing to do with a deposit and won't resolve the issue at hand.

Being angry bitter and vindictive won't get the tenant her deposit back. Dealing with the issue in a professional adult manner, all the while asking for proper documentation, just might.

The issue here was an elevated electric bill. The tenant should deal with that issue and leave the threats and theft out of it.

First, request to see the power bills. If they are low, or the landlord refuses to show them, tell them that you'll report them to the AFIP.

This is only a bargaining tool - chances are they will crumple. The locals are scared silly of AFIP inspectors, who are notoriously hungry.

Referring the matter to Tribunales might work somewhere else, but the Arg. legal system is inefficient beyond words. It takes years to settle anything.

Another option is to consider the lost deposit as "Tuition", learn from the experience, and move on. Americans should do well to keep in mind that THIS IS NOT THE STATES. Here, we are on the other side of Alice's looking glass.

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I think we're going to use the AFIP threat, have our consulate's number on hand, and maybe also try to have an older man with us as well. Our landlord treated us poorly when we moved in until my dad showed up, and that made a huge difference in the landlord's tone.

I realize this isn't the states, but I've always gotten 100% of my deposits back because I take good care of the places I rent. I don't see how our electric bill could be too high considering the only electricity we use is for the lights and for the toaster. Our landlord literally came to the apartment, asked if we used the toaster that was included in the apartment, and then told is it probably takes too much electricity. So his claim seems pretty ridiculous. Our contract also states that the electricity was included in the monthly price, so legally it doesn't seem like he would have a reason to keep our deposit. I asked a friend who is a lawyer here, and he told me not to worry and that they'll probably return the deposit. If they don't, he said I can take them to court, that I'll win and that the landlord would then have to pay for all of the legal fees too. I'm pretty sure that option isn't worth it, but he told me that's my only legal option...

Thanks again for all of the suggestions!

Is getting your deposit back in Buenos Aires really that hard ? I own property down here so I don't have to rent, but even when I did rent ( from agencies ) they were always very good about refunding my deposit.

The first time I rented an apartment in buenos aires it was from a woman a private owner who rented it out. It was the most stressful time of my life, she tried every trick in the book to rip me off and in the end I didn't get my deposit back... But I learned a lot.

Since then I've lived in about 6 apartments, all from agencies or from people who manage at least 10+ apartments and never had a problem, always got my deposit back. When you rent from someone or an agency that makes their whole living off renting apps it's hard for them to rip you off, because of how easily you could completely screw up their business.

Never again will I rent from a private owner who has 1 apartments... They hold all the cards and you can't win. Although I did manage to get her email password and cause a bit of chaos for her, which made me feel better but didnt make up for my $400 she stole.

If your contract states that utilities are included in your rent, forget about power bills and just go the older man/AFIP threat route. In my opinion, that crummy landlord is banking on your being young and out of your depth, in a new country.

In local parlance, "Las corre con la vaina" - he's threatening you with an empty knife sheath. After all, he has nothing to lose, and five hundred dollars to gain.

Consider taking a recorder or a cell phone to tape the meeting when you ask for your deposit, and tell him you'll have to report him to the AFIP. Being on record does wonderful things for people's consciences.

The AFIP idea is a good one. Don't wait, however, to tell the LL that you'll report them. Be proactive. Go to AFIP and secure the complaint form and fill it out. Make a copy for the LL and present it to them if things don't go your way.
If there is not a proforma document find out the name of the supervisor/director of the complaint dept. Write a letter to said person and present this letter to the LL with the understanding that the letter will be submitted within the hour. If you found this apt by the result of a written/ printed advertisement include it.

If you need help with that letter, I'll be glad to translate it for you as a courtesy to a fellow forum member. Just send it via PM.

Best of luck, and let us know how this plays out.

Sara

Back