How do we get our tap water tested?

Lallie

Registered
Over Christmas we had a houseful of visitors who went down like flies with dramatic stomach pains and diahorrea and vomiting. We thought one of them had brought a stomach bug with them from Australia, until discovering one of our rooftop water tanks had a giant hole in its lid. There's a construction project next door, so along with all kinds of revolting organic debris we assume we've been ingesting airborne pollutants. Repair work has been done, but I'm still suspicious as the water is a funny colour. In addition, in the past fortnight, the chlorine taint has become so overpowering the smell lingers in bathrooms and the kitchen. My husband has started complaining that his skin is feeling dry and itchy. Has anyone else noticed this? And, does anyone know of any environmental health agency I can call to have the water tested for drinking quality? We'd be really grateful for your suggestions, thanks.

Do you have well water? If so, ask your pharmacist about having it tested every four months or so. Wells can become polluted during droughts.

Buenos Aires tap water is safe, but when the river is low it smells of chlorine. There are water filters sold here that remove chlorine. The water tank may be the source of your problem. Make sure it has a tight fitting lid, secured by wires so it doesn't shift in high winds. Have the tank emptied, scrubbed, and disinfected once a year, and the water should be all right.

You need to contact a laboratory which performs this type of analysis. After a quick search I found this, there are surely many more.
My experience is that such a huge geographic move (AUS to ARG) usually means the body doesn't know the bacteria he is getting in touch with. Stomach pain and dhiarrea from vegetables and food i also a very usual thing.

Water in Buenos Aires is fucking crap really. Get a filter or get a coffin, there's no other choice I think. Bear in mind too that the god damn bottled water is also utter filth, not only does it often have that Nasty plastic taste but it also contains Fluoride, Amazing that they would knowingly add Fluoride to the good water making it just as bad as the shit that comes out of an unfiltered tap there.

You can get sparkling water in glass bottles San Pellegrino and Perrier which are quite good but then again they are sparkling water and quite expensive. Another good option is getting sparkling water delivered to your doorstep in those reused plastic bottles, there you get no Fluoride, a good price and much better filtered water than your own filter can provide. I thought a whole lot about setting up a still to distill my own water but never got around to it for some reason.

Plain sparkling water - soda - is made with tap water.

No one I know ever got sick from drinking tap water - it may not taste good but it is safe. The water in suburban Washington was as chlorinated as Buenos Aires water - never killed anyone, either.

If you want to be 100% safe, forget about water and drink only beer - it is the only thing sterilized in the bottle. Brush your teeth with beer, too.

SaraSara said:
Plain sparkling water - soda - is made with tap water.

No one I know ever got sick from drinking tap water - it may not taste good but it is safe. The water in suburban Washington was as chlorinated as Buenos Aires water - never killed anyone, either.

If you want to be 100% safe, forget about water and drink only beer - it is the only thing sterilized in the bottle. Brush your teeth with beer, too.

I agree with everything positive that's been said here about the potability of Bs As tap water and a search on previous threads will uncover tips about any taste issues. However the OP clearly has reason to believe that the water supply is being contaminated after it gets to the roof of his building and this is what needs sorting out.

The problem must be the tank. It should be emptied, scrubbed, and disinfected once a year. Plus, the lid must be secured or tied down so it doesn't fly away or shift during storms. Plastic tanks are flimsy - stainless steel ones are the best.

Back