• I own a car, I drive most of the time

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • I own a car, but I take public transit on a regular basis as well

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • Mostly in taxi

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Mostly on Subte/buses

Votes: 37 45.1%
  • I usually ride a bicycle, rollerblade, scooter, etc.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • A fairly even mix of public transit and taxis

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Walking

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other- explain in the comments

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Taxis cost me about $4 to get across town, how is this expensive?

Really? Please pass me the name of your incredibly cheap cab driver, because I took a cab from Puerto Madero to Las Canitas (which is halfway across town -- last Thursday night at 930pm, very little traffic since it's summer and it cost me 60 pesos -- and his meter was not ticking up in any untoward way. From Las Canitas to Caballito (again, about halfway across town) it's about 45. And late night, even more. For $4 (which even if you're using rate of 7:1 is 28 pesos -- I'm assuming you're talking USD since 4 pesos won't even get you in the door of the cab) you can get from Las Canitas to Recoleta if you don't get stuck in any traffic at all.

Bicycle and motorbike.
Public transport only when absolutely necessary.

Really? Please pass me the name of your incredibly cheap cab driver, because I took a cab from Puerto Madero to Las Canitas (which is halfway across town -- last Thursday night at 930pm, very little traffic since it's summer and it cost me 60 pesos -- and his meter was not ticking up in any untoward way. From Las Canitas to Caballito (again, about halfway across town) it's about 45. And late night, even more. For $4 (which even if you're using rate of 7:1 is 28 pesos -- I'm assuming you're talking USD since 4 pesos won't even get you in the door of the cab) you can get from Las Canitas to Recoleta if you don't get stuck in any traffic at all.

It looks like the $4 dollar boy USED to live here. Quite obviously unaware of the real costs.
As far as 'taxi cost' savings I recommend that people look for Remis companies with bad quality cars. Always cheaper. A decent car costs more...

Funny how many people own cars but don't drive them... maybe they are too scared to drive like me?

Funny how many people own cars but don't drive them... maybe they are too scared to drive like me?

LOL! I know I was terrified when I first got here, and even now. The rules are there are no rules! I live at a 4 way intersection and people honk their horns, so they don't have to slow down and the cars coming in the other direction will not hit them! I have almost gotten hit at least 6 times from people who didn't want to stop or go around the block to go the correct direction down a one way street. Crazy!
My license expired last year and my husband tried to teach me how to drive our manual car - such a mistake. After four different lessons, I was in tears.
We live in an area where there are plenty of transportation options so I don't need the car anyway.

I always drive into town but about half the time, I leave the car at my suegras and take the subway/bus around town.
a) Driving downtown is a headache that I avoid if possible - street closures, can't turn on certain streets, rules change - ugh.
B) Parking is EXPENSIVE and if I'm running multiple errands, I don't want to keep putting it in a garage and then taking it and driving to the next garage.
c) traffic.

I don't drive at all (manual + crazy driving culture seems like a recipe for disaster), but whenever we go into the city my husband drives the car. Most of the places we go to the parking is run by trapitos, so it's not too expensive, but traffic can be pretty frustrating.

I do lot of taxis and subte.

I have been here for a long time but am ashamed to reveal, I still can't figure out the buses!

Ceviche:
http://mapa.buenosaires.gob.ar/

Second Tab => Como llego? Type origin and destination. Parameters are means of transportation and how far are you willing to walk.

Return bus (opposite direction) normally is within two blocks.

Back