• I own a car, I drive most of the time

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • I own a car, but I take public transit on a regular basis as well

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • Mostly in taxi

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Mostly on Subte/buses

Votes: 37 45.1%
  • I usually ride a bicycle, rollerblade, scooter, etc.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • A fairly even mix of public transit and taxis

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Walking

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other- explain in the comments

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yeah pretty much, $4 is a pretty good price for that distance. Where are you all traveling to that you need to go from Puerto Madero to Belgrano every day? Seriously, I was hearing this stuff when I was living there before and it confuses me.

Taxis are cheap here compared to most other major world cities, but if you compare them to buses, subway they are expensive. And, if you take in to account annual price rises the last couple of years of I swear 40% p.a and of course local wages, they are not comparatively cheap.

For example, if I want to take a taxi to work for some reason (running late, need to arrive quicker, dont feel like being packed like a sardine on the bus or waiting for half an hour while 10 full buses pass without stopping), it costs me 40-45 pesos (from libertador / scalabrini) in to border of centro / Puerto Madero.

Or, if I want to go to South PM for dinner, 2 weeks ago it cost 60 pesos. A bit over a year ago - under 40 pesos.

I used taxis regularly in Manhattan and BA. So a bit of comparison for those who are familiar with both the cities.

I am regularly using taxi between 42nd street/9th avenue to 53rd street/3rd avenue ( or from Time Square subway station to 3rd avenue subway station) was costing more or less 12 us$ to 16 us$, depending on traffic. So if we take the mean, it would be 14 us$. Which would be 90 pesos at the blue rate or 70 pesos at white rate.

I would say a similar distance here would be palermo subte station to san telmo ( Independencia station) . That would cost 60 peso.

So from point of view of a local who does not have access to blue dollar, taxis in NY and BA are costing almost the same.

Go figure, guys.

What would the cost be for the same distance in NY?

I think you are asking about NYC cabs? For a 13 mile trip, midtown to the bottom of Brooklyn (Bay Ridge) it cost me (in 2010) approx US$30.

Rich One - I am giggling.

I drive or walk or bike everywhere. I live in the far Northern suburbs , where life is boring , and there is nothing to do. But it sure is peaceful.....

I travel a lot from Palermo ( close to Palermo subte stn) to Microcentro or San Telmo or Tribunales.

I usually end up paying 45/60/35 pesos more or less, one way in the cab for the above 3. Its not cheap!

I also have had instances where the bill when it should have been 60, came to 80 ( Palermo to san telmo). I refused and paid only 60. And the taxi drivers also agree!

By the way, I use 2-3 taxis a day.

When I feel, I am going overbudget, I suddenly go berserk and start using subte for next 3-4 days and HATE IT!

Ceviche, you should learn to take the bus. I live in the same neighborhood and travel multiple times per week to Centro and Belgrano. The blocks between Plaza Italia and Juan B Justo are the most connected in the city. You can find a bus that will take you practically anywhere. After learning the routes and stops, I stopped taking the subway and taxis.

Ceviche, you should learn to take the bus. I live in the same neighborhood and travel multiple times per week to Centro and Belgrano. The blocks between Plaza Italia and Juan B Justo are the most connected in the city. You can find a bus that will take you practically anywhere. After learning the routes and stops, I stopped taking the subway and taxis.

Is it true that the buses stopped taking coins? If so, how do you pay if you don't have a SUBTE card?

I used the subte and buses. The last year I was there I rarely used taxis. Why? They just got to darn expensive and it was russian roulette in terms of whether they were going to screw you. Also I would like to add (although I didn't select the option) I did walk alot in BA. Once you get to know the city it actually isn't so scary and it is easy to navigate. Nothing worse then waiting 20 minutes for a bus, being on the bus for 20 minutes, when you could walk the distance in 40 minutes.

Is it true that the buses stopped taking coins? If so, how do you pay if you don't have a SUBTE card?

No they still take coins, it just costs more (with it's 1.50 fare, without it is now 2pesos I believe). You can get subte cards pretty easily, I think the cost is 17 pesos so if you are here for awhile and use a lot of buses it is well worth it -- called SUBE not Subte ;) -- http://www.sube.gob.ar/

Back