How far will my money go in Argentina?

bebero said:
i never paid more than 1200 for a flight (usually 1000). i live in a one bedroom in palermo.
a regular income here is about 4000 AR. (1000 usd). And people live just fine. No traveling abroad, not super expensive things, but fine.

You simply cannot compare an average Argentine's lifestyle to an average expat's lifestyle. There are many things that a local has that 99% of expats do not (living at home to save up money, access to a guarnatia when it is time to rent a property, a network of friends/family that will pitch in to help furnish the apt, etc).

Kudos to you if you're finding flights that cheap on the regular. I fly to the US every few months as well and I think the cheapest flight I had in the last year was $1200. With taxes and such, the average is closer to $1500.

I guess as always, everyone's situation is different. I personally couldn't have lived on 2200 USD a month in Capital but it sounds like you have managed to find a good quality of life.

Thaot coming to BA thanks to everyone that has replied. It's all been really helpful. I'm not coming to BA to find employment but to discover the country and learn the language. I now know that my 'pension' will not be enought and that I'll have to bring some savings with me. No problem. As they say there are no pockets in a shroud.

By the way I'm in Liverpool (UK). I have dual nationality in UK and Australia. Nothing should be read into the name. Once again thanks to all

From my perspective, the problem is economic stability. If you are staying a few months or a year you can probably make a budget allowing for inflation, and get by fairly well. But as an observer of living expenses in Argentina for the past 50 years, It has been a roller-coaster ride. I remember in the 70's Argentines were flocking to Miami to buy condos and enjoy the cheap living in the USA. When I went to Buenos Aires prices were about triple for someone staying in a hotel and eating in restaurants. If you want to live in Argentina, it should be for the lifestyle, the beautiful scenery, for the friendships, fishing, or whatever, and not for economic reasons.

Lee said:
Define "fine".

That is certainly a relative term.

Perhaps your "fine" means something entirely different, perhaps it is fine for you, but someone else might find your "fine" unacceptable. :cool:

fine: eating out once a week, going out on the weekends, going to the movies once a week or once every two weeks, afford groceries without thinking twice.

citygirl said:
You simply cannot compare an average Argentine's lifestyle to an average expat's lifestyle. There are many things that a local has that 99% of expats do not (living at home to save up money, access to a guarnatia when it is time to rent a property, a network of friends/family that will pitch in to help furnish the apt, etc).

Kudos to you if you're finding flights that cheap on the regular. I fly to the US every few months as well and I think the cheapest flight I had in the last year was $1200. With taxes and such, the average is closer to $1500.

I guess as always, everyone's situation is different. I personally couldn't have lived on 2200 USD a month in Capital but it sounds like you have managed to find a good quality of life.

i'm talking about adults who live on their own, not with their parents.and I don't know of adults whose friends pitched in to furnish the apt.
banks offer garantías for a reasonable price.
check despegar and you'll find flights to miami for 700 usd. with 200-300 more you get to a lot of different cities in the the States.

I make around $1200 USD after tax as a young professional and I live just fine sharing a place in Recoleta (saving around 150 USD a month)

Back