How is it that so many Argentinians can move to the US?

An Argentinian can get a tourist visa to Spain, vacation there for a few weeks and use that to declare to AFIP that they are no longer a resident? Wouldn't his return be recorded by immigrations and checked by AFIP? Here's an idea - Argentina needs a worldwide tax on citizens.
Not quite.
Firstly the Spanish stats are confirmed as Spanish residents by the Spanish state (and the hefty tax burden that goes with it)
Secondly AFIP gets data from migraciones about Argentines entering and leaving the country. They know (or can find out) exactly how many days people have been inside Argentina. Where you spend your time outside of Argentina is your problem.
Thirdly there are a few more legal layers for Argentines (and Argentine permanent residents!) to satisfy in order to become non-residents. It is actually one of the more difficult countries to escape since theoretically you can be taxed here for your first 12 months abroad unless you can demonstrate you have legal permanent residence elsewhere. AFIP can also make it more difficult if you have a "weak" argument and are an Argentine citizen with links to Argentina - if they do it in practice is another story... depends what your worth and who is out to get you I guess.

Worldwide taxation on citizens? Only two countries USA and Eritrea have this bizarre and abnormal concept. Argentina would fit right in.

Last edited:
Worldwide taxation? Only two countries USA and Eritrea have this bizarre and abnormal concept. Argentina would fit right in.
True, but those 2 countries can get away with it cause they are extremely desired. Eritrea is especially underrated. I rank it at 4th best country to live in.

6. Argentina
5. South Africa
4. Eritrea
3. Thailand
2. Saudi Arabia
1. USA USA

True, but those 2 countries can get away with it cause they are extremely desired. Eritrea is especially underrated. I rank it at 4th best country to live in.

6. Argentina
5. South Africa
4. Eritrea
3. Thailand
2. Saudi Arabia
1. USA USA
Agree with Thailand 100%! The government even provides migrants with the right status level with free golf, limousine airport transfers and a personal concierge to make life easier and take care of your tramites. Plus you are only taxed on Thai income. Not the mention the papaya salad!
https://www.thailandelitevisas.com/ ... Oh well Argentina is not so bad, at least we get a subsidized subte card to ride the bondi to Ezeiza and depending on where you're from, a separate building to wait in at Migraciones.

Agree with Thailand 100%! The government even provides migrants with the right status level with free golf, limousine airport transfers and a personal concierge to make life easier and take care of your tramites. Plus you are only taxed on Thai income. Not the mention the papaya salad!
https://www.thailandelitevisas.com/ ... Oh well Argentina is not so bad, at least we get a subsidized subte card to ride the bondi to Ezeiza and depending on where you're from, a separate building to wait in at Migraciones.
lol, the Land of Smiles is pretty sweet but with a few more perks, Argentina could surpass it as a rootless cosmopolitan refuge.

Mexicans would crush argentines with respect to work ethic. I miss all my mexican crews in the field when I have to deal with the local workforce.
Mexican dishwashers in the US work harder and make more money than most Argentinians

If only work ethic alone were enough to lift people out of poverty. Mexicans, including those who are first or second generations US citizens, comparatively have some of the worst rates of upward mobility among all other immigrant groups, and a large number of them aren't even immigrants, per se, but only plan to work (with or without papers) in the US for a few years while sending remitances back home.
Sounds like you’re confusing Mexican with the broader group of Latinos

Sounds like you’re confusing Mexican with the broader group of Latinos

No, I've actually done research on this. As far a other Latino groups, they are behind Puerto Ricans (who have the advantage of being US citizens) and well behind Cubans, for instance.

Back