How is it that so many Argentinians can move to the US?

No, I've actually done research on this. As far a other Latino groups, they are behind Puerto Ricans (who have the advantage of being US citizens) and well behind Cubans, for instance.
Cubans who also have the advantage of citizenship, so you’re comparing uneducated illegal temporary Mexican non-residents to US citizens?

No, I've actually done research on this. As far a other Latino groups, they are behind Puerto Ricans (who have the advantage of being US citizens) and well behind Cubans, for instance.

Cubans who also have the advantage of citizenship, so you’re comparing uneducated illegal temporary Mexican non-residents to US citizens?

For what it´s worth, I believe that ALL Puerto Ricans are US citizens, The only Cubans who have US citizenship must be naturalized (granted citizenship) or be born in the USA. I´m not sure if a Cuban born in a US territory (Puerto Rico e.g.) automatically becomes a citizen of the US

Last edited:

No, I said the Mexican American community, the majority of whom are not "illegal." Cubans until recently had a clearer path to citizenship because of the "wet feet, dry feet policy." But my original comment was about comparing economic mobility between different immigrant groups, not about specific subsets of those groups. Island-born Puerto Ricans while technially not immigrants, do follow a lot of the same trends as other Latino groups when they migrate, and the poverty of San Juan is on par with most large Latin American cities.

No, I said the Mexican American community, the majority of whom are not "illegal." Cubans until recently had a clearer path to citizenship because of the "wet feet, dry feet policy." But my original comment was about comparing economic mobility between different immigrant groups, not about specific subsets of those groups. Island-born Puerto Ricans while technially not immigrants, do follow a lot of the same trends as other Latino groups when they migrate, and the poverty of San Juan is on par with most large Latin American cities.

You said earlier "and a large number of them aren't even immigrants, per se, but only plan to work (with or without papers) in the US for a few years while sending remitances back home." So what are they, legal temporary minimum wage workers?

Bottom line is the USA needs more and more consumers to buy all the crap it imports from China and other slave states.

Consuming all the crap is purpose of third importance.

Immigrants serve two main purposes:

(1) they create demand on housing markets thus keeping prices of real estate high and profits of landlords high.

(2) they create supply on labor markets thus keeping labor cheap.

Both those purposes are clearly beneficial to wealthy elites.

Reactions: Moe
For what it´s worth, I believe that ALL Puerto Ricans are US citizens, The only Cubans who have US citizenship must be naturalized (granted citizenship) or be born in the USA. I´m not sure if a Cuban born in a US territory (Puerto Rico e.g.) automatically becomes a citizen of the US

We were talking about the work ethic of mexican immigrant laborers, poster comes in and then talks about "if only work ethic were enough etc.." and compares (no stats provided) first/second generation mexican americans (not immigrants!?) and who decidedly are not dishwashers, and then at the same time "not immigrants who send money home" and is now comparing them to Cubans...and Puerto Ricans, very confusing. Yes Cubans one had an easy path to citizenship (unlike Mexicans) and PR are US citizens, so to me a weird comparison between Cubans/Puerto Rican upward mobility vs Mexican dishwashers. Still would be curious to see the statistics demonstrating Mexican American citizens have bad social mobility vs other US citizen immigrant groups. Would I be surprised their social mobility numbers are not as strong as say, Korean Americans citizens? No but where are the figures?

You said earlier "and a large number of them aren't even immigrants, per se, but only plan to work (with or without papers) in the US for a few years while sending remitances back home." So what are they, legal temporary minimum wage workers?

I already adressed that. Now I can't tell if you're debating me or debating yourself.

Consuming all the crap is purpose of third importance.

Immigrants serve two main purposes:

(1) they create demand on housing markets thus keeping prices of real estate high and profits of landlords high.

(2) they create supply on labor markets thus keeping labor cheap.

Both those purposes are clearly beneficial to wealthy elites.
Of course! What? You want the peasants running things? That worked wonderfully in the USSR and Red China. I know, ultimately elites ran/run things there too. Sorry, such has been our world since Narmer.

And what do you think homes are filled with? Foreign crap. We love it!

Once most manual jobs are automated, folks will be begging and fighting--literally--for any $15/hr job they can find.

Last edited:
I already adressed that. Now I can't tell if you're debating me or debating yourself.

How exactly do you measure upward social mobility of "a large number of them aren't even immigrants, per se, but only plan to work (with or without papers) in the US for a few years while sending remitances back home"?

Back