How is this area?

I would say the area around Riobamba & Rivadavia is safer and there are more people around, especially during the day due to it being close to Microcentro and Congreso. Peru & Carlos Calvo is certainly more "quaint" but at night there are few people in the street and the streets are dark. You're a good 5 to 6 blocks from the subte also. You are on the edge of San Telmo and Constitución there.

Xen, I have lived near your first area for the past 10 years near Rincon(Junin north of Rividavia) and Independencia.....when I first starting to come here I always stayed at Hotel Dos Congressos on Rividavia and Callao (2 weeks there 2 weeks in Miami) for a year......The neighbourhood is fine...as already stated you will see a lot of parades and demonstrations especially on Wednesdays..Lots of police there both day and night, being the governmental center..You have an amazing amount of bus lines (including # 8 to Ezeiza airport) and of course the subte. On your block there is one of the most elegant apartment buildings on the city,perfectly maintained inside and out ans very$$$$....You will however continualy see many many sleezy people....These are called in English senators , congresspersons, presidents and cabinet members.....They usually don't rob you in the STREET.

Xeneizes said:
New area to ask about! I might be setting for this place tomorrow so I'd really like to hear how it is.

This new flat is on the corner of Peru and Carlos Calvo.

That corner seemed quite nice but some of the surrounding streets were a bit dodgy. Anyone have any advice on this location?

Hi Xeneizes. I'm a guy and I live in an apartment on Carlos Calvo near the corner with Peru. I have been out until the early hours on many, many ocassions and I have walked many of the surrounding streets on my way home and I have never felt threatened.

I love living here, it has a community feel. I'm not suggesting it's perfect but I cnsider it home now.

Best of luck.

As someone who lived for a while on the other side of the same block mentioned in the first post. You will not sleep in. The protests are loud, drums, firecrackers the works. Its cool and interesting and for the first couple weeks, afterwards it just sucks. I'd definitely go for the santelmo location first.

That is an absolutely fantastic San Telmo location!!! Grab that place quick before it's gone. I lived one block from there for a year and it was the best place I lived in BA. You would be six blocks from Line C Independencia station, great for when you want to cross the city. Or you can walk over to Paseo Colón (four blocks away),Bolívar or Defensa (one and two blocks away) to catch a bus to go pretty much anywhere. You are so close to so much awesome neighborhood stuff.

Just so you know--People who discourage others from living in San Telmo are usually people who have never actually lived there, or just thought they knew the neighborhood well but were actually wandering around Monserrat where all the squatters live (calle México, etc.) And yes, technically Piedras and Tacuarí (the first two streets east of 9 de Julio) are part of Constitución and not San Telmo, but that nastiness only really starts once you cross over 9 de Julio and then go further south. I lived over there too, at the Monserrat/Constitución border. If you live in San Telmo you will probably never cross over 9 de Julio to do anything over there. San Telmo is a nightlife destination for many with about a zillion restaurants and bars. So when people talk about the streets being deserted, I just assume they weren't actually in San Telmo, but just thought they were. It is a very tiny barrio and the borders are not obvious.

I'm thinking of living in San Telmo, over the paranoid cautionary tales of the expat crowd.

AlexanderB said:
I'm thinking of living in San Telmo, over the paranoid cautionary tales of the expat crowd.

Its not all that bad but there are definite zones to santelmo, it can go from pretty bad to really nice in a few blocks. Make sure to check anyplace you're thinking of day and night.

When I was in BA, I stayed around Chacabuco & Independencia and had no complaints, going out at night and all. But, I was always in the company of a burly acquaintance.

I also never had problems on the San Telmo side, but have been robbed a couple of times on the other side (border of Monserrat and Constitucion).

Back