How long before BsAs loses its shine?

Ashley said:
However, I'm finding taking the next step in my career here impossible. There is just nothing out there.

I have to say I agree with this. It's tough to move up. DH would have stayed if there was some sort of good career move after 3years. But there doesn't seem to be.

So, another thing to think about: What next?

Everything gets old after a while... I always joke that my ideal life would be to move somewhere new every 90 days. I'm still seeing if I can turn that joke into reality. :)

bradlyhale said:
Everything gets old after a while... I always joke that my ideal life would be to move somewhere new every 90 days. I'm still seeing if I can turn that joke into reality. :)
Wherever you go, there you are.

xohmyx said:
I was planning to come back next year for a longer period at first i was thinking about 6-8 months but now im thinking that may be to long im guessing that after awhile it starts to become less of a vaction or an adventure and more of a routine day-to-day living thing, and i want BsAs to remain an intresting place.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
~ Mark Twain

I think I like this place because of its shit. I felt odd last time I went to the states. I felt I knew something that some of those people didnt. I feel like I have had to deal with more annoyances, business problems, house problems, more problems in general in this country, in the past year, than I have had to deal with in the states. Thankfully, I havent had to deal with the government giving me problems, yet. I have only been here a year now; so I know I have a lot more to look forward to, however I feel like I have come out on top. I feel better about finishing a year (or life) after dealing with shit than finishing a year (or life) after running from it.

Ashley said:
However, I'm finding taking the next step in my career here impossible. There is just nothing out there. And while my friends back home settle into well paid, senior and semi-senior positions as they reach their 30s, I am stuck with a lot of experience and nothing to do with it (feeling underpaid, under-appreciated and a bit like I'm going backwards). This is making all of the other issues with Bsas (inflation, dollar restrictions, lack of variety in food, etc, etc) seem 10 times worse than they ever did before. It is for that reason that I'll be looking to move back within the next 12 months.

This is one thing that I've never really liked about U.S. culture. We are brought up to be so obsessed about the future. We start thinking about college when we're 14-years-old. By the time we're sophomores in high school, you're already supposed to know what you're going to major in. Then you get into college, and you have to be thinking about your career. We're so forward thinking. We never think about the now.

I think one thing that Argentina and people here have taught me is to live in the moment. (Still not the very best at it, but I'm getting better.) In university, I spent my whole four years planning everything meticulously, only to have that plan fall completely apart. I look back at those four years, and they just seem like a blur, a very, very distant memory. Now, I plan a bit, but largely just take life as it comes at me.

The people who I've met here don't seem concerned about careers and keeping up with the Joneses. Surely, there are numerous people who do, but the vast majority who I have met don't talk like this. It's probably due to economic events in the past and clearly such an attitude does have its downsides, but they all just seem to go with the flow more. They have their salary, and they're happy with it. I think they enjoy life more.

“You have to ask yourself: When you finally get the ultimate possession, when you’ve made the ultimate purchase,when you buy the ultimate home, when you have stored up financial security and climbed the ladder of success to the highest rung you can possibly climb it, and the thrill wears off – and it will wear off – then what?”
– John Ortberg

bradlyhale said:
By the time we're sophomores in high school, you're already supposed to know what you're going to major in

I agree with all of your post except this part. My students were always fascinated in the U.S. system of core classes and electives that allow you to try different subjects before declaring a major. At my alma mater you didn't have to officially declare until the first semester of your junior year. Here people just choose a career, complete it (if they don't postpone their finals until the end of time), and often end up working in that field (though not always). It can be very hard to switch fields once out in the workforce. So in that teeny tiny sense I prefer the U.S., though the ridiculous tuition costs and ridiculous drive to workworkwork pretty much negate everything. :eek:

To the OP or anyone else who is considering moving here for a short time, just get off this web site immediately. It will scare the shit out of you and kill your optimism. If I'd read it before moving here, I would have cancelled my trip!! Six to eight months is nothing. Enjoy.

Things aren't really like that with today's youth in the U.S. I'm 26 and most of the people I know around my age are spending their entire 20s to figure out what they want to do with their lives.

There was a great article recently about this trend, I'll try to find it. The slow economy is certainly helping this attitude, but I think it's a general realization that life is too short to settle down in your 20s.

bradlyhale said:
This is one thing that I've never really liked about U.S. culture. We are brought up to be so obsessed about the future. We start thinking about college when we're 14-years-old. By the time we're sophomores in high school, you're already supposed to know what you're going to major in. Then you get into college, and you have to be thinking about your career. We're so forward thinking. We never think about the now.

I think one thing that Argentina and people here have taught me is to live in the moment. (Still not the very best at it, but I'm getting better.) In university, I spent my whole four years planning everything meticulously, only to have that plan fall completely apart. I look back at those four years, and they just seem like a blur, a very, very distant memory. Now, I plan a bit, but largely just take life as it comes at me.

The people who I've met here don't seem concerned about careers and keeping up with the Joneses. Surely, there are numerous people who do, but the vast majority who I have met don't talk like this. It's probably due to economic events in the past and clearly such an attitude does have its downsides, but they all just seem to go with the flow more. They have their salary, and they're happy with it. I think they enjoy life more.

“You have to ask yourself: When you finally get the ultimate possession, when you’ve made the ultimate purchase,when you buy the ultimate home, when you have stored up financial security and climbed the ladder of success to the highest rung you can possibly climb it, and the thrill wears off – and it will wear off – then what?”
– John Ortberg

I think you're definitely right...to a point. I do love not feeling the pressure to have a five year plan...or whatever. But right now, the lack of new challenges at work can be frustrating. I think there's a big difference between deciding not to take new "opportunities" and not having any...
Financially, while I have no desire whatsoever to "keep up with the joneses", I would like to have a bit more financial stability now that I'm beginning to consider starting a family in a couple of years. If I were to stay in my current job, owning a home or getting a mortgage or whatever is a complete impossibility...as is any kind of travel, etc (things I'd like to have/do in my 30s). While I agree that a lot of Argentines I know aren't as bothered by these things (or the lack of them), I've never seen so many peers (average, middle class folk) get a financial leg-up from their family when it comes to buying an apartment and settling down as they do here. I guess if you have that sort of back-up from your family, there's not so much pressure to climb up the ladder at work...

Back