How long before BsAs loses its shine?

Yes, Ashley, yes! That's a lot of why I'm leaving, too. I'm in my mid 20s now and I'd like to start living a bit more like an adult. You know, with a savings account, and not paycheck to paycheck. And I don't really see a professional future for myself here. I don't give a shit what the Joneses think, but I would like to travel and be able to feed my future kids and not have to live in the ghetto. The best of both worlds is what I'd like, really. I think I can take the tools important life lessons I've learned here and make a decent life for myself somewhere else.

xohmyx said:
Hey everyone hows it goin? good i hope?

anyway i understand my question is quite subjective and each persons individual experiences will alter there point of view towards the city, but as a general rule how long did it take for BsAs to stop being a magical exciting far off place with (at first intresting) quirks, to a place that made you want to punch people in the face and wish that you'd never left the familiar comfort of your homeland.

I ask because I was in BsAs for a month eariler this year and i had a cracking good time, which seemed to contrast a lot with a lot of peoples experiences on here (granted i didnt get mugged and met up with great people while i was here) I was planning to come back next year for a longer period at first i was thinking about 6-8 months but now im thinking that may be to long im guessing that after awhile it starts to become less of a vaction or an adventure and more of a routine day-to-day living thing, and i want BsAs to remain an intresting place.

So how long did it take for the lights of Buenos Aires take to dim for you and what was it that happened or that you experienced to make your point of view change?

8 years ago you couldn't have made me leave for anything...last 2 years, been dying to cut loose and get out of this disaster of a Country. I'm compromising with the wife and we'll be spending 4/4/4 between the U.S. and Argentina.

BA never really lost it's shine for me. It never really had one.

I came to BA five and a half years ago hoping to find an economical alterantive to Paris.

That worked for a while..until I lost my desire to live in any big city...ever again.

Two years ago I found my present home on line.

Well thanks for all your responses everyone, I read them and see they all have a sort of similar vibe.

I always had this idea in my head that i would move to Argentina and live there forever and everything would be magical and id marry a tall handsome man and we'd have beautiful dark haired babies who would grow up to be footballers and tennis players and we'd live in a nice house and we'd both have good jobs and security and all that...but that was all before i went there.
when i went there and even though it was only for a short while after talking to my friends there and seeing how they lived and how the average Argentinian person lives the little image in my mind kind of disappeared (which was a shame because my imaginary future husband was hot! :p)

Now I'm not a very future orientated person, i dont sit down and make 5 year plans or anything like that and i don't stress about not living up to others expectations and such.
But i do want to have a decent job, i want to have a job that allows me to live comfortably, not extravagantly but comfortably, and i want to have security and piece of mind, and after seeing how things were i just couldn't see it happening in Argentina, i mean thats not to say i wont change my mind or my point of view in the future but for now i think while I'm young I'll keep my visits to Argentina to short bursts so i can enjoy it knowing I'm there for a good time not a long time :)

I know lifes what you make it and each person will experience things in a different way and just because it didnt work out dfor some doesnt mean it wont work out for all, but hearing about each persons different experiences does help.

Happiness depends more on who you meet and make as friends than where you do it.

Back