How many of you made the move to Argentina solo?

Hi MrBart,

As far as moving here is concerned, very generally speaking -keep in mind that there are always two main groups in the population of any city, the locals that haven't traveled much & the multi-national locals who have traveled & are more relaxed in a 'mixed' group.

I was born here in BA but after living abroad for 35yrs, I'm back here living with relatives, they don't speak English & although I love them very much, I know I'm more at home with the multis! Just like you, others are new here too, & so there are plenty of good opportunities to create new & meaningful friendships/bonds with others who are starting out just like you.

Best of luck to you,

Ricardo.

I'm another solo, who moved here with her cat 5 years ago. It's not easy, but it is easier the younger you are and if you have some money. I'm middle-aged without much money and I teach tango here with my Argentine partner, so everyday life is often a struggle.

I suggest you participate in groups doing things that you enjoy: Toastmasters is great!, tango classes, photography, church, gyms, and above all, volunteering for some cause you believe in.

Hola

Try and get the best apartment you can afford. I moved here to something temporary then shoped around. There are massive differences in value that you can find so it pays to be patient. A good apt will also make you feel good about being here in the tougher times.

There are enough expat things to do here your spanish wont be a huge issue but life will be a lot better if you take an intensive course.

Suerte.

MrBart

I made the move solo, packed all my belongings into a shipping container and set sail for Buenos Aires. That was 4 years ago, I'm still here and plan to be here for many years to come.

If you seek adventure, change and would like to experience a universe where the laws of nature have been reversed then Argentina is definitely for you.

I came here with no Spanish language skills whatsoever except for 'gracias' & 'hola'. My goal was to step out of my comfort zone and experience another dimension of life in a culture that seemed at the time similar but different enough to warrant exposure. My god, I had no idea and think back to my naivety in thinking that it would be easy.

I didn't have a job, much money or any friends here in BA to help me along the way and had to learn everything by living off my wits.

Over the last 4 years I have come to love and hate this country. Left is right, up is down, forwards is backwards.... that's the best way for me to describe this place.

You have every reason to be anxious because this place is not a walk in the park... compared to the USA or Australia, this place is downright backwards. This is just my opinion of course and am not seeking to insult any readers.

Everything is complicated here. Bank accounts, sending money overseas or indeed receiving money. Renting apartments, connecting cable T.V.... you name it, it's different to what you have been used to but that's the Argentine way.

I've become an Argentine immigration expert, banking expert, travel guru and restaurant critic. I've survived the rental market, hired removalists, dealt with argentine customs officials and even had some of my things stolen. If you need to know how to get a DNI then I'm the man to ask... I laugh now but at the time, learning these skills almost brought me to tears.

I now speak fluent spanish but that too has been a challenge because I'm not that gifted with languages. Persistence, effort and a willingness to make silly linguistic errors while learning is important. I enrolled at UBA and studied spanish there.

The locals are easy to integrate with. I've made many good Argentine friends.

Well, there is much more that I could say about this country, people and my experiences... perhaps I'll write a book someday.

All the best with your move.

Cangurito

MrBart said:
Hi Everyone,
As I prepare to move to Buenos Aires shortly, I'm feeling both excited and extremely anxious! I'll be making the big move on my own.
I'm just wondering how many of you also made the move solo?
Did you find it easy to integrate with the locals?
My Spanish is basic but I hope that will change rapidly upon arrival in BA!

Suerte.

Reactions: RWS
I moved solo!
Spanish is key. Focus on necessities like directions, asking for things, food, needs, etc... the social stuff will ensue. Don't count on too many argentines to open up their english skills unless they are drinking!
Plan on having a place to stay for at least a week while finding a new apartment... that can be tricky. suerte!

Cangurito said:
. . . . I had no idea and think back to my naivety . . . .
Your post is excellent, Cangurito. I hope you'll continue to write here.

Cangurito, I'd love some expert advice on how to apply for residency in Argentina. I'll be headed back to the states in less than 2 weeks but plan on returning to live indefinitely a few months later (so much for moving back now that Obama has won... I just love it so much here). I don't need a work visa as I have a U.S.-based job, which I imagine might make it easier since I am not theoretically here to 'steal work' from locals. Any thoughts?

Hi MRBart!
Dont be anxious, because it is going to change your life forever.
Ive moved from Amsterdam (the netherlands) to Argentina Buenos Aires,
it was the best thing I've ever did.
You will be fine:)

Back