How many of you want to leave Bs As?

I'm outtie just as soon as my portena partner can pack her things. I'm actually in Madrid right now, happy as a clam, and am NOT looking forward to returning to BA next month (even if it's just while we get our ducks in a row.) I'm just done with that place; the novelty has completely worn off. I'm tired of the crime, the arrogance, the wading through filthy streets every night, and the awful, awful food (for which I have to pay twice what I do in America OR Spain!) Like others, I came for a summer vacation 2 years ago and ended up unexpectedly tied to Argentina, after falling for a local. I actually had a pretty sweet deal -- 3-4 months in BA, then just when I was reaching my boiling point, back to the States (due to grad school back there) -- but each time I returned, my enthusiasm and patience were more and more short-lived. I suppose I would be able to soportar if my Argentine had ONLY an Argentine passport (and thus very little mobility), but thankfully, our freelance jobs and American/European citizenships do allow us to pursue opportunities elsewhere... and at this point, I really could not justify staying in a country that offers so little to those of us just starting careers and families. For me, Argentina is best limited to 1-3 month holidays... staying longer makes it too easy to get caught up in the negatives.

stefano said:
I read some of these comments about the Portenos being rude, self-centered, etc. but to be honest, I think that's the case anywhere a person goes. There will always be idiots and morons in every country. I think it might be be better if the original post asked people what they like about BA. BTW, the United States is, in all likelyhood, still the best place on earth for an "average" joe to live and work. Yes, the US of A is expensive but at least I know that if I get tossed in jail I stand a good chance of getting out! Peace to all!

It's always nice to find someone with a positive attitude (you), but you sound like someone who doesn't live in Bs.As. and perhaps never has.

There have been several threads about what is good in Bs. As. and they include many positive posts. Nonetheless, it is clear that after about a year (mas o menos) many expats who moved to BA with high hopes and great expectations become disillusioned and only want to leave.

I think this thread is posing a question to those who are still here but know they want to go. Based on some of the replies so far it looks like the main reason those who would like to go but are still here is love for another individual, but not the city.

I'm a bit surprised that (so far) none of the "locals" who haunt this site haven't jumped in here spewing their hatred for foreigners, telling us to leave the "most beautiful" country in the world if we don't like it.

I do think Argentina is a beautiful country and I am staying here by choice, but I am significantly happier living in the Provincia Bs. As. than I ever was during the four years I lived in the ciudad Bs. As.

I'm leaving Argentina next year. Just waiting for my husband's US permanent residency papers to be processed. Can't wait to get out. It's been a dreadful 7 years.

perry said:
Porteños in general are rude and confrontational . Common courtesy and generous behaviour is rare .

The honeymoon definetly wears off after a year once you realise that the charm that you first encountered was mostly fake and that real feelings of friendship are rarer that one can imagine.

The best friends one can make in Buenos Aires are other expats as we understand each other and share common experiences.

I think (long term) expats in general are boring, they mainly stay at home and if they go out they maybe have 3 to 5 places to go to, offcourse probally filled with 80% foreigners.

My Argentine friends on the other hand are here, definitly want to stay and are up for anything you want to do.

Must be the way you treat people or at best your lack of Spanish(=lack of respect for the country you are living in)

In my own experience there have been leaving a lot of long term expats(lets say more then 2 years) over the last 8 months and I don't know yet but I am guessing that there will be way less expats in spring time wanting to take the job.

The other thing I have noticed is that the expats that are actually stay take life a lot more serious then before, most have started or are starting a business or getting a good job(with shit pay) over the last year and before it was basically all fun and more free-wheeling

I personally are 100% happy here and I can only imagine living for a few months somewhere else to do something new but I doubt my work-fun balance would be better or that I can build a group of friends as easy as here.

I have been here almost 7 years, have a gf since 5 years, but don't live together and go home 2 times a year for about 4 months and spend a month a year travelling

I don't hate it here. I just don't love it here either. We came with a plan to stay 2-3 years and in the end it will probably be 3 1/2 before we go. The thing that bothers me the most strangely enough is that I really feel so very far from everything and everyone that I do love.

So, we are looking for new opportunities as soon as one comes along we will be on our way to our next adventure. It just seems like it's about that time.

Suerte to all of you wherever you end up! :D

What can I say?
The sentiment here has changed a great deal since I first came across this forum some years ago.
For my part, I only came here to be with the woman I love and with that comes the whole package; but then that's my problem.
We don't live in Cap Fed, so as Steve says, things may be different. Never lived there myself and don't want to. Prefer the life out side of a busy city, but each to his own.
This is not an easy country to live in and I certainly admire those who can and do as expats.

Hello! I love Buenos Aires but some mornings i want to wake up and shoot everyone. My family is from Mendoza and hate Buenos Aires and Portenos. I moved here from Florida because Orlando sucks. People from Florida are nice but people from NY are assholes. Whenever i get sick of BA im leaving. Watch video below. Best of luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAmioqK-iW4

The biggest reason we are leaving though is because of our daughter. This is not a place that we want to raise our family. Not enough common decency among a lot of the people (however, our barrio does seem to stand apart as we have some very nice and helpful nieghbors).

By the time we leave, I will have been here for more than 2 years (happy to say I lasted that long) without leaving. I miss having friends that I can depend on. I miss my family dearly and surprisingly, I miss the money I used to make waiting tables.

Maybe one day we will come back to live here again. But for now, its better for us to move back to the states. I would be lying if I said I wasn't going to miss it here.

you do sound rather confused va2ba..It´s a tough call,I came back from holiday in the UK in July,and for the first time in 7 years I didn,t really want to return.I guess it depends on your family,friends ,job etc,each to their own-good luck anyway

Back