How much do your building porters earn?

malbec said:
There was somewhere a post on this forum where people complained about the amount of money you need to live in BA. Most agreed that at least 5000 pesos are needed (for 1 person!!). Now people complain it is too much (for a portero who surely has a family). Please make up your mind.

Malbec, you are trying to be provocative. You know very well that expats who come here from places like the US and UK are almost always highly educated and usually professional. Their standards are obviously going to be a lot higher than those of a worker who has just primary or maybe secondary education. I believe in fair pay but salaries like this for someone with no special skills are out of control. Most expats pay high rents in dollars because they have no way of getting guarantors, so obviously they are going to need more money than a local person. In addition, a $5,000 peso salary is more than many professionals make here. When it is combined with free housing it is a great deal of money by local standards - and YOU know that!

Sergio, does your guy work 24 hours? Seems tough on our guy, doing the same job for 2k. But he only works mornings and evenings, takes weekends off and gets a free flat. For 2k, thats not too shabby.

jp said:
Sergio, does your guy work 24 hours? Seems tough on our guy, doing the same job for 2k. But he only works mornings and evenings, takes weekends off and gets a free flat. For 2k, thats not too shabby.

No, he DOES NOT work 24 hours. There are other employees. He does VERY LITTLE. VERY LITTLE INDEED. His appearance is even bad.

We have 1 useless guy. He gets about $3,000 a month, plus and apartment and benifits. Considering that he works about an hour a day, his hourly salary is VERY high.

sergio said:
administration companies often auction off portero positions when they get new buildings, because it is a great job, often for life, making good money, free housing, and barely working (generalization, but seems true in my neighborhood).

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY AUCTION OFF?[/quote]

You pay somebody off to get the job

This is one in the endless list of things that suck here.

Impotence. That will resume how I feel about things like this.

Subway, another good example.

In the mean time, our finest doctors, scientists and engineers work for the bread and the water. In most cases flying away to europe or the states.

God bless Argentina and the peronists without them non of this would have been possible.

It's just one more reason to buy a PH or a casa and NOT have a portero.

A friend of mine helped administer her building...saw the very high slary of the portero, arranged to fire him and now they outsource cleaning and security, which is what they do anyways...much cheaper and if you dont like the job they are doing you fire tem and get another....without paying a mountain of indemnization.

bloody_bloo said:
This is one in the endless list of things that suck here.

Impotence. That will resume how I feel about things like this.

Subway, another good example.

In the mean time, our finest doctors, scientists and engineers work for the bread and the water. In most cases flying away to europe or the states.

God bless Argentina and the peronists without them non of this would have been possible.
You just hit the nail on the head. Nowhere in the world have I seen professionals such as doctors, attorneys, architects and scientists and such making the same salary "or less" than garbage collectors, door men and bus drivers.
Well, maybe in Communist China or Cuba or some other similar toilet. I suppose this condition has set the stage for being able to pay off cops for $100 and buy judges at $1000.
But one has to wonder why a kid would study hard, graduate and become a doctor [like his father] when he can sling trash for the same salary.

This happens when the thirst for power intersects with demagogy, ignorance and bucket full of loonie-lefties redistribution worshipers.

Lets take indiscriminately from the working economy mobilizing class and throw it to the lazy cicadas.

Back