How much more are you paying for your health (prepaga) insurance?

yes, the reported 40% increase is for January, now 29% on top of that for February.
Ouch! I'm obviously wondering if other health insurance companies will follow suit. Seems likely.

OECD had an ad on the web a few months back offering insurance with no stated age limit. The two policies offered were priced at $375 and $475...plans available for seniors. If still offered, those plans would put many in the uninsured class. Maybe it is time for Tijuana and Medicare.

OECD had an ad on the web a few months back offering insurance with no stated age limit. The two policies offered were priced at $375 and $475...plans available for seniors. If still offered, those plans would put many in the uninsured class. Maybe it is time for Tijuana and Medicare.
Well now, there's a thought.

Steve, for your sake I sincerely hope that public health services are better in Bahia Blanca than they are in GBA. My brother-in-law has no private insurance and had a TIA (a brief stroke) last week. He's in a large, "modern" facility in San Martin. Much of his care --- bathing for example --- is expected to be done by the family. But bring your own towels as none are provided. Nor are toilet paper, drinking water for the patient, a pillow(!), etc. Although this is a huge hospital, covering an entire city block, he had to be taken elsewhere for an MRI because their's doesn't work. In the past, my wife has had to bring surgical supplies for even simple procedures.

My daughter had a baby last April, using Swiss Medical. The difference in the care she received and what my brother-in-law is experiencing is extreme. Getting appointments and routine tests maybe be easy for you. Hopefully your care in a life-threatening situation will be up to private health standards.
By coincidence, a friend of mine was doing an internship as a nurse in the Hospital de Clinicas San Martin until this week. She was paid 5000 Pesos for a 24 hour shift, and though permanent personnel would be better paid, you can imagine the pay levels there.

She confirmed more or less what you said, while medicines are generally available, other basic supplies like gauze are scarce, and cleaning is a problem (they seem to have problems with clostridium difficile). In general, the hospital appears to be very run down.

My experience in a private clinic, ICBA, was completely different, I would venture to say it's at the same level as any first-world clinic, with excellent in-patient and out-patient care.

Hospital Italiano advises a 29.5% increase for February.

Steve, for your sake I sincerely hope that public health services are better in Bahia Blanca than they are in GBA

Fortunately, Frank, neither you nor I have to worry about the quality of the public health services in Bahia Blanca...

...because neither of us live there and, speaking for myself at the least, never have. 🤠

My latest email:

We are contacting you to inform you that, in accordance with DNU 70/2023, published in the Official Gazette of December 20, 2023, the essential recomposition of the values of the current plans is possible.

As we have mentioned on another occasion, an enormous difference has been accumulating between the increases authorized by the Government and the real increase in health costs.

Consequently, said adjustment is necessary to face the constant increase in imported medical supplies, the disproportionate increase in medicines, the effect of general inflation and the incidence of parity in the sector.

Due to the above, the base fee corresponding to the month of February 2024 will have an increase of 27.5%, calculated on the value of the base fee for January 2024. The increase applied seeks to correct the extreme differences of these last months.

Back