How much of the appeal for expats towards Argentina is race-based?

Not only in Bolivia.
There's a La Paz in Cordoba - a small town 40 km from Villa Dolores.
And there's another La Paz in Colonia, Uruguay. It is a tiny, one-horse town.

Last edited:
I'm not suggesting anything, it's a question for discussion!

That said, in what sense does Argentinian culture more closely resemble US culture morethan, say, Brazilian culture or Peruvian culture or Mexican culture?

The way you framed the discussion could come off as accusatory.

In a book by Cortázar where he was paraphrasing someone else, he said something like, "Mexicans came from Aztecs, Peruvians came from Incas, but the Argentines came from boats." So, in other words, Argentina, and the Cono Sur in general, had much more direct immigration from Europe in the 20th century (much like the US) which makes it a bit of a cultural outlier in Latin America.

Thank you for the respectful response and your insights. Much appreciated!

Regarding Argentinian cuisine, I guess to each their own! I mean, parillas...asado...that's great but the rest, nothing to write home about IMO.

Buenos Aires has a lot of lovely architecture, including modern architecture and beautiful mid-century buildings as well, and it is true there is nothing else quite like it in Latin America or perhaps even the rest of the world. But to me it just feels like the remnants of a decaying empire!

I have spent a lot of time in Buenos Aires, Rosario, and the interior with my former in-laws an huge family. I worked briefly out of my firm's office in Buenos Aires. I mean, everyone is nice and everything, no complaints, but if you just picked up and moved to Argentina, I feel like it would be hard to establish a network of close friends..But I guess that is just my perspective.

In many respects, Argentina just feels to me as if it is trapped in the 1960s (if you are in Rosario or the interior) and the 1990s if you are in Buenos Aires, with a generally lower quality of life and less "first-world" amenities unless you hang out at Patio Bullrich or eat at the 4S regularly. It just feels like a much harder place to live. And the culture - as nice as people are - seems very different to me than American culture (can't speak for European culture). American optimism, the can-do spirit, protestant work ethic, pulling yourself up by the bootstraps, overcoming failure etc... just for me doesn't exist in Argentina.
Oh, you are welcome. I work hard not to offend or be disrespectful to others. I miss on that goal occasionally, but it is never intentional on my part.

A couple of ideas:

Argentina is Argentina ... I don't want it to be just like some place else! I WANT MY ARGENTINA to be ARGENTINA! I truly love this place. AND - I don't say that lightly, because I have a philosophy of not loving anything that can't love me back. BUT - For Argentina, I am going to make an EXCEPTION ... because it feels like a home to me.

Argentina is changing very fast. Perhaps not as fast as other parts of the world, but it is definitely changing and moving forward with respect to technology ... etc ... I think that Argentina could / would take a huge leap forward if it's government would step aside and open the country up to the world. For better or worse, just open it up and COMPETE on it's strengths. If that were to happen, it would be a huge positive for change to today / NOW!

Not all people are good at making friends. I have no idea if you are good at it or not ... I never met you!) But I offer this:

I knew a person from Asia ... This person was not much to look at ... no one ever looked twice at them. This person did not have flashy clothing or great possessions ... But THEY HAD A MILLION DOLLAR PERSONALITY. I don't care where or under what circumstances, this person had more friends than you could imagine. And they always were in "people mode." It was simply amazing to watch.

Anyway, I took a few lessons from observing this person and it changed my very existence on tis earth. I am not ever going to be in this person's league when it comes to making friends, but I am much better at it than before knowing them. I'LL TAKE THAT EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK!

So ... what is it that this person did so well? Many things, too many to list here, but I am going to share two!

#1) Mind you, this person had average teeth, and an average face. BUT - THEY SMILED and greeted others very warmly, with sincerity and interest. When that smile was flashed, it lit the room up. It was electric. I observed this ... So I worked on smiling better and more. Smile at someone and they generally smile back at you. FLIPPING TRUE for sure!!!!!

#2) No matter what personal burden this person was dealing with, they never shared it with others in conversation. They had the ability to COMPARTMENTALIZE their thoughts. To separate moments and save the bad for later. Focus on the good right now. This ability is phenomenal. But I really have had to work hard to develop it. I have to say, I hide my problems better than ever and it keeps my mood better, which gives a better vibe to others.

Lastly, Argentina is not a can do country. It is too socialized for that. There are some shakers and movers here, but on the whole that is not the people. Again, if the government changes, the people will too.

The way you framed the discussion could come off as accusatory.

In a book by Cortázar where he was paraphrasing someone else, he said something like, "Mexicans came from Aztecs, Peruvians came from Incas, but the Argentines came from boats." So, in other words, Argentina, and the Cono Sur in general, had much more direct immigration from Europe in the 20th century (much like the US) which makes it a bit of a cultural outlier in Latin America.
Renzi,

I enjoy your wit!

Not only in Bolivia.
There's a La Paz in Cordoba - a small town 40 km from Villa Dolores.
And there's another La Paz in Colonia, Uruguay. It is a tiny, one-horse town.
I know, but there are no lakes, closest La Paz near lakes is in Bolivia.

Oh, you are welcome. I work hard not to offend or be disrespectful to others. I miss on that goal occasionally, but it is never intentional on my part.

A couple of ideas:

Argentina is Argentina ... I don't want it to be just like some place else! I WANT MY ARGENTINA to be ARGENTINA! I truly love this place. AND - I don't say that lightly, because I have a philosophy of not loving anything that can't love me back. BUT - For Argentina, I am going to make an EXCEPTION ... because it feels like a home to me.

Argentina is changing very fast. Perhaps not as fast as other parts of the world, but it is definitely changing and moving forward with respect to technology ... etc ... I think that Argentina could / would take a huge leap forward if it's government would step aside and open the country up to the world. For better or worse, just open it up and COMPETE on it's strengths. If that were to happen, it would be a huge positive for change to today / NOW!

Not all people are good at making friends. I have no idea if you are good at it or not ... I never met you!) But I offer this:

I knew a person from Asia ... This person was not much to look at ... no one ever looked twice at them. This person did not have flashy clothing or great possessions ... But THEY HAD A MILLION DOLLAR PERSONALITY. I don't care where or under what circumstances, this person had more friends than you could imagine. And they always were in "people mode." It was simply amazing to watch.

Anyway, I took a few lessons from observing this person and it changed my very existence on tis earth. I am not ever going to be in this person's league when it comes to making friends, but I am much better at it than before knowing them. I'LL TAKE THAT EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK!

So ... what is it that this person did so well? Many things, too many to list here, but I am going to share two!

#1) Mind you, this person had average teeth, and an average face. BUT - THEY SMILED and greeted others very warmly, with sincerity and interest. When that smile was flashed, it lit the room up. It was electric. I observed this ... So I worked on smiling better and more. Smile at someone and they generally smile back at you. FLIPPING TRUE for sure!!!!!

#2) No matter what personal burden this person was dealing with, they never shared it with others in conversation. They had the ability to COMPARTMENTALIZE their thoughts. To separate moments and save the bad for later. Focus on the good right now. This ability is phenomenal. But I really have had to work hard to develop it. I have to say, I hide my problems better than ever and it keeps my mood better, which gives a better vibe to others.

Lastly, Argentina is not a can do country. It is too socialized for that. There are some shakers and movers here, but on the whole that is not the people. Again, if the government changes, the people will too.

The government reflects the people. The government isn't going to change without first the people changing. I've been waiting for thirty years to see a change. It hasn't happened yet.

Back