How much of the appeal for expats towards Argentina is race-based?

The way you framed the discussion could come off as accusatory.

In a book by Cortázar where he was paraphrasing someone else, he said something like, "Mexicans came from Aztecs, Peruvians came from Incas, but the Argentines came from boats." So, in other words, Argentina, and the Cono Sur in general, had much more direct immigration from Europe in the 20th century (much like the US) which makes it a bit of a cultural outlier in Latin America.

This is changing. There is a huge population from other parts of Latin America. They are not of European descent. I have seen a massive change in the population of Buenos Aires over the years. There is even an African population now. I don't believe Porteños can any longer describe themselves as European in the early to mid 20th century of the term. Large parts of Europe are now multi racial, multi ethnic. The 'very European' description of BA is becoming antiquated. Pockets of BA remain that way - get out of those pockets and you will see the reality.

Thank you for the respectful response and your insights. Much appreciated!

Regarding Argentinian cuisine, I guess to each their own! I mean, parillas...asado...that's great but the rest, nothing to write home about IMO.

Buenos Aires has a lot of lovely architecture, including modern architecture and beautiful mid-century buildings as well, and it is true there is nothing else quite like it in Latin America or perhaps even the rest of the world. But to me it just feels like the remnants of a decaying empire!

I have spent a lot of time in Buenos Aires, Rosario, and the interior with my former in-laws an huge family. I worked briefly out of my firm's office in Buenos Aires. I mean, everyone is nice and everything, no complaints, but if you just picked up and moved to Argentina, I feel like it would be hard to establish a network of close friends..But I guess that is just my perspective.

In many respects, Argentina just feels to me as if it is trapped in the 1960s (if you are in Rosario or the interior) and the 1990s if you are in Buenos Aires, with a generally lower quality of life and less "first-world" amenities unless you hang out at Patio Bullrich or eat at the 4S regularly. It just feels like a much harder place to live. And the culture - as nice as people are - seems very different to me than American culture (can't speak for European culture). American optimism, the can-do spirit, protestant work ethic, pulling yourself up by the bootstraps, overcoming failure etc... just for me doesn't exist in Argentina.

The American (US) virtues you mention are actually changing. Some would say declining. Nevertheless, more doors are open there than in Argentina. Few people in the US have any idea how complicated life is in countries like Argentina - and there are far worse places in the world!

The government reflects the people. The government isn't going to change without first the people changing. I've been waiting for thirty years to see a change. It hasn't happened yet.
And you are spot on Sergio >>> SPOT ON!

This is changing. There is a huge population from other parts of Latin America. They are not of European descent. I have seen a massive change in the population of Buenos Aires over the years. There is even an African population now. I don't believe Porteños can any longer describe themselves as European in the early to mid 20th century of the term. Large parts of Europe are now multi racial, multi ethnic. The 'very European' description of BA is becoming antiquated. Pockets of BA remain that way - get out of those pockets and you will see the reality.

I go often to Once Train Station and watch trains arrive and thousands of passengers descend coming from Moreno and elsewhere you get a reality Check of the ethnic composition of the Provincia.

On the other hand what is "European" Small villages in Southern Europe like Spain , Portugal , La Calabria, Sicily , Greece or Poland and other Central European villages .are entirely a different universe from Northern Europe. Buenos Aires is by far More European than those places.

When we state that Buenos Aires is more European, I certainly speak of Pockets , I only know like 5 comunas in CABA after 18 years..!

A small town in the Provincia de Buenos Aires is as European as a similar town in Andalucia, Sicily, or the Greek Islands, I can vouch to that..!

My take is, when they say European, they mean people without native aboriginal roots. No Tehuelches, Huichis, Pampas, Tobas, Guaranies, Ranqueles, etc. No indians, in short. Sorry to be politically incorrect, but I know no other way to put it.

My take is, when they say European, they mean people without native aboriginal roots. No Tehuelches, Huichis, Pampas, Tobas, Guaranies, Ranqueles, etc. No indians, in short. Sorry to be politically incorrect, but I know no other way to put it.

Surely many or most Argentines are of mixed race.

Back