How much of the appeal for expats towards Argentina is race-based?

I'm not suggesting anything, it's a question for discussion!

That said, in what sense does Argentinian culture more closely resemble US culture morethan, say, Brazilian culture or Peruvian culture or Mexican culture?

Seems we must speak of Buenos Aires Capital, excludes el cono Urbano and certain barrios de CABA.
To summarize in one sentence " European ambiance, people and culture at discounted South American Prices.
Different than Rio with different demographics as well as Peru and Mexico

What exactly is US culture? Or, for that matter, Argentinian, Brazilian, Peruvian, or Mexican? These are all countries that house infinite cultures and subculturas in contact with one another and constantly moulding oneanother and fusing. In that sense, they are all actually very alike.

Ah, those are man-made lakes - ok, but set in low hills, with muddy water. For truly beautiful lakes, try the ones in Neuquen and Rio Negro. Worth the trip.
I always wanted to go but my significant other has been multiple times and didn't want to go there with me :(

Based on my limited experience in Latin America, Argentina strikes me as one of the worst countries to be an expat in. Cold winters, meh beaches, seems hard to make real friends (not just once in awhile cafe acquaintances) unless you marry into a family, crime-ridden, crumbling and decaying architecture, so-so food besides parillas and fancy restaurants if you're in Buenos Aires, and so on.

Places like the lakes in Cordoba are beautiful but few expats are going to know that area and if you have no family there it would be awfully lonely experience.

The dollar goes far in Argentina and private health care is good quality and inexpensive.

But the main difference is the "European-ness" of Argentina. Is the expat attraction to Argentina in fact in some way racist?
I have to disagree with you Fiscal. (But keep in mind, we are all different!)

I like the change of the seasons. Cold is not a dealbreaker for me.

I am not a beach person, I prefer a pool ... so beaches mean nothing to me.

FRIENDS? I have never met so many great people anywhere else. I have some great friendships that are way beyond superficial. People I could depend on if I had a real problem. My motto ..., to have a friend, int must be a friend. I practice that everywhere I go and in all that I do.

There is crime everywhere in this world. It's not hard to recognize what not to do or where not to go. It's a personal responsibility to avoid trouble I think. And it takes effort sometimes. But I am non confrontational by nature.

Decaying and crumbling as well as a lax building code for new construction ... FULLY AGREE with you on that one!

But, that is simply because of the chronic economic turmoil here. Fix the economy for good, it will fix the infrastructure over time.

I find Argentine cuisine to be quite nice. There are also a lot of healthy choices one can make. BUT - I don't eat the majority of my meals outside of the home ... WE LIKE TO COOK! And the ingredients in Argentina are on par with anywhere else in my opinion.

Lastly, any place on the map, If I were to go there ... I know I would make friends in a reasonable amount of time. (I prefer BA. but I could swing it in the provinces ... I know I could.) I would never feel lonely. It's just a matter of how you interact with others. I do well.

But like a few other replies here:

What is it that you specifically have in mind?

I find the country to be a wonderful place to experience life. I am not a master of understanding a different culture, but I pride myself on going with the flow. It's a personal choice.

Would love to get some feedback on this one!

I'm not suggesting anything, it's a question for discussion!

That said, in what sense does Argentinian culture more closely resemble US culture morethan, say, Brazilian culture or Peruvian culture or Mexican culture?
Of course it does! Both are large countries in the new world with similar (though distinct) immigration patterns. I often thing of Argentina as, in certain respects, a parallel United States.

I have to disagree with you Fiscal. (But keep in mind, we are all different!)

I like the change of the seasons. Cold is not a dealbreaker for me.

I am not a beach person, I prefer a pool ... so beaches mean nothing to me.

FRIENDS? I have never met so many great people anywhere else. I have some great friendships that are way beyond superficial. People I could depend on if I had a real problem. My motto ..., to have a friend, int must be a friend. I practice that everywhere I go and in all that I do.

There is crime everywhere in this world. It's not hard to recognize what not to do or where not to go. It's a personal responsibility to avoid trouble I think. And it takes effort sometimes. But I am non confrontational by nature.

Decaying and crumbling as well as a lax building code for new construction ... FULLY AGREE with you on that one!

But, that is simply because of the chronic economic turmoil here. Fix the economy for good, it will fix the infrastructure over time.

I find Argentine cuisine to be quite nice. There are also a lot of healthy choices one can make. BUT - I don't eat the majority of my meals outside of the home ... WE LIKE TO COOK! And the ingredients in Argentina are on par with anywhere else in my opinion.

Lastly, any place on the map, If I were to go there ... I know I would make friends in a reasonable amount of time. (I prefer BA. but I could swing it in the provinces ... I know I could.) I would never feel lonely. It's just a matter of how you interact with others. I do well.

But like a few other replies here:

What is it that you specifically have in mind?

I find the country to be a wonderful place to experience life. I am not a master of understanding a different culture, but I pride myself on going with the flow. It's a personal choice.

Would love to get some feedback on this one!
Thank you for the respectful response and your insights. Much appreciated!

Regarding Argentinian cuisine, I guess to each their own! I mean, parillas...asado...that's great but the rest, nothing to write home about IMO.

Buenos Aires has a lot of lovely architecture, including modern architecture and beautiful mid-century buildings as well, and it is true there is nothing else quite like it in Latin America or perhaps even the rest of the world. But to me it just feels like the remnants of a decaying empire!

I have spent a lot of time in Buenos Aires, Rosario, and the interior with my former in-laws an huge family. I worked briefly out of my firm's office in Buenos Aires. I mean, everyone is nice and everything, no complaints, but if you just picked up and moved to Argentina, I feel like it would be hard to establish a network of close friends..But I guess that is just my perspective.

In many respects, Argentina just feels to me as if it is trapped in the 1960s (if you are in Rosario or the interior) and the 1990s if you are in Buenos Aires, with a generally lower quality of life and less "first-world" amenities unless you hang out at Patio Bullrich or eat at the 4S regularly. It just feels like a much harder place to live. And the culture - as nice as people are - seems very different to me than American culture (can't speak for European culture). American optimism, the can-do spirit, protestant work ethic, pulling yourself up by the bootstraps, overcoming failure etc... just for me doesn't exist in Argentina.

Back