How Much To Charge For Private English Lessons???

sstraus

Registered
Hey English Teachers!

I am curious how much you charge for private english classes?

I have a TEFL certification and used to teach English here, but it has been almost 2 years since then. I might start teaching a few private classes, but I have no idea what the average going rate is these days.

Thanks for your help!!

The going rate is between $70-$80 pesos per hour for private students. When I used to teach English I charged one rate per hour and a bit less hourly for a 90 minute lesson to private students. For companies I used to charge more 25% more as they needed a factura and being monotributo costs about $400 per month these days. If you work for an institute you make less per hour but if their students like you they will give you a lot of classes and pay you even if the student cancels the class with short notice. The really good English teaching jobs require you to be able to give them a factura.

I charge 150 pesos an hour or 200 for 90 minutes for classes at students' houses or offices. Other experienced, tefl-qualified teachers I know charge about the same.

Perhaps 80 pesos is the going rate if you work through a school or an agency? I don't think I could live on that unless the classes were all block booked in the same place. Everyone I know was charging around 120 an hour last year and I don't know anyone who had a shortage of classes at that rate.

I think we should all agree that 100 pesos an hour is a minimum (and probably too low if you are a trained English teacher) now, given the low value of the peso and inflation. If the students (or schools) have problems with this psychological barrier (and it shouldn't be ) in early 2014, then they will be even more problematic later (better to drop them like a sack of hammers now).

Ugh I charge waaaaay too little. I am a qualified English teacher with over a year's experience and my students pay either 70 or 80 pesos. The thing is that I came to Argentina when the academic and work year was winding down, and I am still struggling a bit to get students. I think once things start getting better though I am going to bump it up to 90 or 100.

Spanish Private lessons by UBA instructors....! $250 per hour....!!

http://www.idiomas.filo.uba.ar/aranceles

Aranceles especiales
  • Derecho de examen fuera de término $ 270.-
  • Certificado analítico $ 40.-
  • Clases particulares por hora $ 180.-
  • Clases particulares de Español por hora $ 250.-
  • Certificación de Idiomas (CEB-CEI-CEA) - (CILE) $ 315.-

I usually charge between 80-100. If inflation continues to rise I'll kick it up to 90-120 in the next couple of months. At this point though 80 is still a liveable wage if your working 20 hrs a week.

I taught English privately for 6 years and quickly searching my emails, I was charging $80 per hour 2 years ago. I would most likely be charging around what Flay said if I went back to teaching tomorrow.

I haven't taught for about 2 years, but I wouldn't want to get back into it for less than AR$120/hr and then there'd have to be a reason for it.
-Nice people (like the young guys who work at the café where I usually have my Spanish class)
-Fluency Class (rather than beginner to intermediate)... I really have no desire to teach Present Continuous, Past Simple, Past Continuous...
-I find her attractive (no explanation necessary)
-They've got an "easy going" sister who "wants to meet expats"

Would not do it for AR$80/hr unless I taught from a book for at least 6 hs a day (from home)/5 days a week and didn't need to do any prep. Even that doesn't sound worth it.

Back