How Much To Charge For Private English Lessons???

I usually charge between 80-100. If inflation continues to rise I'll kick it up to 90-120 in the next couple of months. At this point though 80 is still a liveable wage if your working 20 hrs a week.

So let see, US$80 per hour and needing to do 20 hours a week then simply will total US$1600.00 per week.
Yeah I assume you can do good living for US$1600 a week even here in the states!

If you have 2yr contract of a monoambiente or 1BR in not Palermo/Recoleta, you can live good off those pesos. Probably need to be a 30yo> person though to not pay cheap health plan.
For permatourists, probably not enough unless sharing/renting a room.
BTW 20 hours a week of work of informal teaching barely sweating (almost no time to be dedicate outside the class) and getting to live ok, more than you can say off US.
Min. wage is equivalent to $750/week for 40 to 45 hours. So winning 4x the min is a decent equation imho.
If you need to pay monotributo, or have to travel for the class, I'd add that to the 70/80 rate.
Anyway, I think you have to play it as you like in terms of how much time you want to invest in it. Might have to start with 70/80 until you have a solid base, then can start asking more for the new students. Eventually raising prices when you are reaching your limit. This will push low payers out and bring new ones in. It's the inverse logic of what's used in non union works e,g. graphic designers. Don't raise the damn guy until he leaves and a younger boy living with parents will come for the same money.

Used to teach English in the early 90's in BA and was getting 10 - 15 bucks p/ hour depending, so things haven't improved.
Put into a different context, I pay a guy AR$140 to cut my lawn, which he does in 40 mins, and he just put his price up to ARS 160.
You work it out for yourself.

Well, if I wouldn't have to travel to your place, and would be your hardware, I'd do it for $75 Resume: Helped a friend cut Cristina's lawn in El Calafate back in the 90's :p
I agree that a higher price would be ok depending on variables as teacher experience, offer/demand for the specific language, materials, travel, tax, etc. For an informal class where the teacher doesn't even have to move from his place, I think a base $70 to $100 depending on experience and moving on up with inflation from now on is ok.
My girl paid $100 for hour and a half Spanish lessons off a High School literature teacher few months ago. Don't think it's so crazy, you'd be earning at least double p/hour over a full time high school teacher where you have to go to meetings, correct homework, deal with brats, etc.
Last photographer gig I did (I have a degree in audiovisual design but I'm not a full time photographer) back in July charged $300 for 4 hours and included the trip to the bar, and I'm going with a U$2k equipment. I'd probably charge $400 now because would have to raise the insurance as well.

So let see, US$80 per hour and needing to do 20 hours a week then simply will total US$1600.00 per week.
Yeah I assume you can do good living for US$1600 a week even here in the states!
No one charges in US Dollars.

You might want to adjust your math.

No one charges in US Dollars.

You might want to adjust your math.

That is odd ? If calculated in AR Pesos, then he won't make enough to live on but saying he is doing OK so I assumed the earning was in US Dollars. you do the math and adjust your response accordingly...

Used to teach English in the early 90's in BA and was getting 10 - 15 bucks p/ hour depending, so things haven't improved.
Put into a different context, I pay a guy AR$140 to cut my lawn, which he does in 40 mins, and he just put his price up to ARS 160.
You work it out for yourself.

Wait a minute...in the 90'swas the time of 1:1 for pesos and dollars, so you were not earning that much.

Gaucho-ec
Curious why you are studying Polish? I speak Polish as I lived in Poland many years
Maybe when Im back IN BA we can have a wodka and mowic razem po polsku?
Czesc

My girlfriend is Polish and I'm moving near Krakow. Just had 2 classes though and my vocabulary is limited to touristic phrases that I picked up on a 3 month stay that I had last year (which includes what you said, so happy I didn't forget :p), and as long you get to BA before I leave, impossible to say no to Vodka! Can't wait to taste again the homemade cherry one that my parents in law prepare :drooling:
Na razie!

This is one I have been thinking about recently - I've just organised a second job for myself to go with the first one (primary) - both online and overseas based but ones that I can continue to do from here (Buenos Aires) and still be paid in dollars (THAT, obviously, is essential)... BUT - then I was thinking about maybe also taking a few private English students as well... IF UBA professors are charging 250 pesos an hour for private lessons and I have bachelors, honours and masters degrees in Education (major/specialization in TESOL/EFL) and years of international experience teaching in some of the world's best universities (e.g. University of Aberdeen est. 1495) I could NOT imagine taking less than that for private English lessons (???) I suppose I might be ''pricing myself out of the market'' but I would expect to receive 300 pesos an hour and would expect the students to come to me - just my thinking based on having been out of the game for a while I suppose and the fact that in both Japan and Dubai I had private students who were prepared to pay well and come to me...

By way of comparison - we just had someone come to re-gas the airconditioner in the apartment (so GLAD that happened yesterday lol) and he was here for maybe 30 minutes tops and he took 800 pesos for this...

Back