Votes: 1 1.7%
  • 2-3 times per year

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • 3-5 times per year

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • More than 5 times per year

Votes: 4 6.7%

• Total voters
I should mention that I consider 1100 to be a relative "deal". I've never quite managed to snag one of these mystical $600 RT flights.

I haven't been back home yet because I have a family of 5 & if I go home without even 1 grandchild..my mother will kill me. Waiting for a good deal. But ideally I would like it to be once a year.

I go to the US frequently, but am lucky because I have a lot of miles from my working days. I also still apply for any good credit cards that offer mileage rewards. For example, I got the Starwood Amex that offered a 30,000 point bonus. On Starwood, transferring 20,000 points gets you a 5,000 point bonus, so I transferred them to American Airlines. If you have flexibility when you fly, you can find 20,000 mile one-way flights to Buenos Aires. (I just booked one.)

I also switched my money market account to one that gives American Airlines miles on the balance rather than the 1% or so you can get online. Getting miles turns out to be a much better deal!

Keep up on some of the points offers by reading travel blogs. There are some good ones.

I go home once a year, and I never buy tickets in BSAS. I always buy a return in NZ open for a year, and usually get one free date change or it costs $50 to change the date.
This year in feb they had NZ$700 (+250 taxes) to EZE with Aerolinas and $750 (+$300) with LAN/QANTAS with taxes etc adding. Thats well under US$1000 for a return flight.. Try to get that in BSAS.
Plus i can get add-on sectors - eg: soa paulo return for extra NZ$200.

When I was splitting my time between the US and BA, I was making 3-4 round trips per year. It was only doable because I'd spend $1,100 on each flight, but live rent-free for the next couple of months. But now that I'll be a full-time resident earning pesos, I doubt I'll make it back more than once per year (if that -- frankly, I'd prefer to spend that money flying to Europe.)

I fly twice a year back to canada through santiago on Air Canada. usually july and xmas. flt is about $1200, but i have a stack of coupons that allows me to be upgraded to first class.

sadly, the reason i still have the stack is because not once has there been availability. yet every flt I go with my coupons and dreams of flying 14 hours in one of those full recliner seats, only to hear every other name called at the gate except mine!. i'm sure its a scam just to keep me loyal to AC. lol.

I fly to the US, Europe or Asia about every 2 months, and have snagged quite a few of those mystical $600 flights and even $500 ones, though it takes a little specialized knowledge how to construct them.

Greg2231 said:
I fly to the US, Europe or Asia about every 2 months, and have snagged quite a few of those mystical $600 flights and even $500 ones, though it takes a little specialized knowledge how to construct them.

Greg, would you mind sharing some interesting information with us? ;)
Thanks!

Back